Review of Memoirs of a Wren

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Review of Memoirs of a Wren

Post by Drianie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Memoirs of a Wren" by Jenny Grinwis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Memoirs of a Wren by Jenny Grinwis is a moving account of the author’s life and the traumatic childhood she survived. Wren, also a bird, was the nickname given to her by her father. Like her namesake, an unquenchable enthusiasm for life and a fierce protectiveness for her loved ones are only a few of the character traits that would help her navigate the challenges of growing up.

Now much older and wiser, Jenny looks back on her life, recounting certain events and instances that shaped her into the woman she is today. While reading her life’s story, readers will encounter mature themes such as sexual abuse and domestic violence. She also shares the devastating experience of witnessing loved ones struggling with drug and alcohol addiction. Readers will get to know her as a child growing up in South Africa in the 1970s and ’80s. One who couldn’t afford the luxury of typical childhood innocence. Readers will also connect with her now as a mother, a teacher, and a strong woman. She shares her valuable insights about life, control, and belonging. No matter how dire or miserable her childhood was, Jenny manages to inject good-natured humor, hope, and love into her book. Admitting that I was moved by her memoir is an understatement.

First and foremost, readers should not be discouraged by the mature themes mentioned in this book. Jenny does a wonderful job of navigating these traumatic events without including too many details that would upset sensitive readers. Instead, Jenny focuses on the different people involved in her stories, analyzing their motivations and struggles and drawing many valuable life lessons from each tale she shares with her readers.

Secondly, no matter how small or insignificant something might seem, Jenny masterfully connects all her stories to reveal profound wisdom in a way that is easy to understand. From Br’er Rabbit, I learned that survival is possible by viewing a situation from a different angle. Her stories about her pet ducks reminded me of the importance of giving a voice to the voiceless. At the heart of her message, Jenny reminds her readers that we are all the same. Each of us wants to belong, no matter if we all experience different degrees of trauma in our lives.

Furthermore, Jenny is an English teacher with a passion for helping others. This was absolutely evident on every single page of her book. The quality of her writing felt like an art form in itself, making this book stand out from the others I have read. She clearly explained each thought while painting a vivid picture with every scene, and it felt like each sentence had a purpose. Nothing felt wasted. What I loved the most was how she connected everything so brilliantly, making this a satisfying read. I commend the author for telling a captivating story and using language to transport me into her world. Since I only detected a few errors, I believe that the book was professionally edited.

In conclusion, this was a perfect read with nothing to dislike or change. Even though I didn’t have the same experiences growing up, Jenny connected with me, and I will carry her words with me long after putting this book down. With so much wisdom and guidance to offer her readers, I cannot recommend this enough. Therefore, Memoirs of a Wren achieves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

The text included some non-borderline profanity, but the words were few and served a purpose. I believe that older teenagers will be able to read this book with parental guidance. She is also a Christian and included aspects of her religious life, although this does not dominate the book. Therefore, I believe that anyone can read this memoir. Whether you experienced childhood trauma or not, read this book. It will guide and comfort you. Those who enjoy reading memoirs should not miss out on this one. It is absolutely worth it.

Memoirs of a Wren
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Deprise Evans »

Wow. This sounds like a memoir worth reading! I love that it resonated with you so much, those are the types of books that are truly worth the read. Great review!
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I don't like as the cover of this book is blur and faint, still an interesting memoir, beautiful review.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

Life journey is filled with both good and ugly experiences. I love this review.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

alot of children are being abused, its so infuriating, but writing and expressing about it can help a person heal, and others relate or understand, interesting book, great review
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”