Review of Not Letting go, but definitely letting go.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Not Letting go, but definitely letting go.

Post by Melisa Jane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Not Letting go, but definitely letting go." by Wava Sisco.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Parents have a responsibility to love and take good care of their children. Children who grow up in a loveless family become traumatized. This trauma may affect their self-worth and how they relate to different people. If not properly managed, it may even affect their adult lives. Not Letting Go, but Definitely Letting Go: Take Your Power Back, Period! by Wava M. Sisco is a non-fictional memoir that narrates how childhood trauma affected the author's adult life.

Although it only has forty-one pages, this book is divided into seven chapters. The story is narrated from the first person's point of view and in both the past and the present tenses. The themes in this book include family relations, love and betrayal, and spirituality.

Being the second born of a single parent, the author had it rough. First, her mother's boyfriend defiled her and warned her against telling anyone. Her mother, who was very strict and unloving, tried to teach her lessons through embarrassments; she once forced her to return twenty dollars to her neighbor, after being humiliated in school. The author tried to fill the void by dating and sleeping with multiple men. She tried to find love in anyone willing to give it to her. When she was sixteen years old, she had her first lesbian relationship. Will her childhood trauma affect her adult life? Will she find a solution for her distress?

This is a very enjoyable book. I liked how the author narrated her story, holding nothing back. It's difficult to find people who are bold enough to tell the world how messy their lives have been and work on improving the quality of their lives. Second, the author used her life story to pass on a very important message about self-love and how important it is. Third, the author kept her narration short and simple, without including unnecessary information.

Although this is an enjoyable book, it has two flaws. First, it is full of grammatical errors. It's almost as if it wasn't professionally edited at all. I came across over ten grammatical errors in the first four pages of the book. Some of the errors are very obvious and can easily be noticed. For example, the following sentences are found on page thirty-seven:
It feels as thought I have been on a never ending roller coaster.
It could feel like it is all to good to be true.
Second, the author talked about her life and narrated about all the people she hurt but didn't seem remorseful at all. Instead of sympathizing with her, sometimes I found myself hating her.

In conclusion, this is a brilliant book. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I didn't rate it 4 out of 4 stars because of the grammatical errors. I recommend it to anyone dealing with childhood trauma. I can't think of any groups of people who won't enjoy reading it.

Not Letting go, but definitely letting go.
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

I've had friends who went through the same thing as the author did. I feel the book might be interesting to read but only if the grammatical errors can be ignored(?). Thanks for such a nice review!^^
19blueofficial
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-19blueofficial.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by 19blueofficial »

I feel really bad for the author. No child should ever go through what he went through. And I really wished his mother was that strong type to stand up against injustice.
Leah Blackman Pitt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leah-blackman-pitt.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: From Weekend Golfer to Pro Golfer in Two Years by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Leah Blackman Pitt »

It is really unfortunate when children have to go through these types of traumatizing situations. I hope that she was able to forgive the persons from her past and allow herself to be free from unforgiveness. Enjoyed your review, thanks.
Itumeleng_tumi
Currently Reading: Lost in Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Itumeleng_tumi »

The family matters involving violence in front of the child is definitely the trauma for other kids but others it inspires/motivates them to do better in life.

This book is the best as you can read it all day even though it has only 41 pages it's a nice book :tiphat:
Priyanshi Bhadana
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Priyanshi Bhadana »

This blew my mind honestly. It feels like the author has been narrating my own story. It felt as if I am reading my own autobiography. I myself have been through same things and couldn't believe that there are people who face the same problems like me. It is heartbreaking yet so relaxing at the same time, that I am not alone. I have forgiven those people and have started moving to a better place in life. I really enjoyed this book and advice everyone in the same situation or not should definitely read this.
Last edited by Priyanshi Bhadana on 25 Sep 2021, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.
Iqra Rafiq 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iqra-rafiq-1.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere

Post by Iqra Rafiq 1 »

Parents matter a lot in everyone's life. If your childhood is traumatising it may leave scar marks and can greatly affect your present and future. I have read a memoir before on the same topic and none the less the author faced the same problems and insecurities. If you want to read a book on a similar topic you can read Don't mind me, I'm just having a bad life.
Thanks for a detailed review.
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

The title got my attention, and the book sounds nice as it talks about parenting. Every parent would love to bring their children in the right way. I Will add this one to my shelf. Thank you for the review.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

This nonfiction story tells the reality of what most children go through while growing up. Good Job!
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

About your comment on not being able to sympathize with the author on hurting other people and not being remorseful about it, childhood trauma in whatever form can literally distort the victim's way of relating to people and understanding love or friendship. It is really complex to understand, I feel the author has given us an unfiltered version of her trauma and healing. I would really like to read this book and have a concrete opinion about this aspect. Wonderful review.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

Growing up wasent easy for everyone, this book brings back some of my painful childhood memories, thanks for the honest review.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

the author needs to reflect and maybe reconsider this book or at least her writing style and editor, great review
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
ontario
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ontario.html
Latest Review: The Successful Manager by Practical Approaches for Building and Leading High-Performing Teams

Post by ontario »

this review openly shows how the author has gone much unpleasant life which pick non of my interest to read it contains some condemned characters . thanks for the review
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

This book totally supports the psychological theories of Sigmund freud about raising a child.
Great reveiw
:tiphat:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”