Review of Cupcakes with a difference

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Review of Cupcakes with a difference

Post by Hhannahh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cupcakes with a difference" by Carol drake.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I chose this book because of its beautiful cover page and catchy title and because I like baking. Cupcakes with a difference by Carol Drake is a pastry book with over 25 cupcake and frosting recipes. In addition to the recipes, there was a section on baking equipment and ingredients as well as charts of kitchen measurements and conversions. There were also several blank pages for the reader to add their own recipes.

There was a lot to like about this book, starting with its attractive cover and catchy title. The recipes were unique and impressive, including recipes for blueberry cupcake, gingerbread and stem ginger cupcake, and chili chocolate cupcake. My favorite part of the book, however, was the mouthwatering photo gallery of fifty shades of cupcakes! Every recipe had a savory pictorial representation, and they set my imagination and tastebuds working. Reading this book was pleasurable torture: see, but don't touch.

As can be guessed from the nature of this book, it can be read from any point. The recipes and procedures were simple and well-explained. Occasionally, the author recommended a few brands and products, but it never came off as an advertisement, which was a good thing. I appreciate the author's obvious efforts in putting this book together. I enjoyed the book, and I'll certainly try out some of the recipes.

In contrast to its rich content, the editing and formatting of this book were poor. To begin with, I noticed blatant errors from the first page of the book, the most consistent of which was the absence of full-stop at the end of sentences. With regards to formatting, the pictures were occasionally unorganized and unlabelled. Also, there was often no clear demarcation between the list of ingredients and the procedure for preparation, so some recipes seemed jumbled up. Considering all these, I don't think this book was professionally edited. This is a promising cookbook that could be better with good editing. Also, I think the index should be placed at the beginning of the book instead of at the end.

After some consideration, I decided to rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I believe one star is a fair price for the shortcomings listed above. A two-star rating would have been too low, but I would have rated it 2.5 stars if that was an option. This is a good book for persons who love to bake and try out new recipes, including children.

Cupcakes with a difference
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

To study the procedure of something is necessary for excellent productivity. I like the book cover. Thanks for your review.
Hhannahh

Post by Hhannahh »

Luchris_michael wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 17:20 To study the procedure of something is necessary for excellent productivity. I like the book cover. Thanks for your review.
Thank you for commenting.
+jay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by +jay »

To study the procedure of something is necessary for excellent productivity. I like the book cover. Thanks for your review.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

Cupcakes are my most cherished. This book will be a savory one to read. Great review!
Hhannahh

Post by Hhannahh »

Nazzy_ wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 04:18 Cupcakes are my most cherished. This book will be a savory one to read. Great review!
Very dear snacks they are. Thank you for commenting. :)
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

My love for baking will surely be sufficed after reading the book. Sounds like a perfect book to follow. I am salivating already! Thank you for the review.
Hhannahh

Post by Hhannahh »

T T 2 wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 09:49 My love for baking will surely be sufficed after reading the book. Sounds like a perfect book to follow. I am salivating already! Thank you for the review.
😅 I had to munch on something whenever I picked up this book. You'll like the book.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I'd love to try out the recipes in this book. I hope the editing part is done soon. Thanks for the review!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

Hhannahh wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 02:41
T T 2 wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 09:49 My love for baking will surely be sufficed after reading the book. Sounds like a perfect book to follow. I am salivating already! Thank you for the review.
😅 I had to munch on something whenever I picked up this book. You'll like the book.
Haha, it's understandable :D
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

The cover is beautiful and captivating, I love cup cakes as well so am definitely reading this book.,beautiful review.
Amynwankwo_
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amynwankwo.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

I also love the cover art a lot.
I’m a big fan of cooking and baking too, so I’ll be definitely checking this out. Thanks for your review.
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

I thought this book is some kind of a story with issue talking about races, not knowing that it's a out a literal cupcake. Great review!
Hhannahh

Post by Hhannahh »

Unosthetic wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 07:37 I thought this book is some kind of a story with issue talking about races, not knowing that it's a out a literal cupcake. Great review!
That was quite a deep and interesting thought you had, but this book was just about cupcakes.
😊
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like that the book emphasizes its practical side but also its aesthetics.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”