Review of Christianity's Jewish Roots

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review of Christianity's Jewish Roots

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Christianity's Jewish Roots" by Susan Renni Anderson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“One of the certain facts about Jesus was that He was a Jew. He was a child of Jewish parents, brought up in a Jewish home, and reared among Jewish traditions. Throughout his life, Jesus lived among Jews, and his followers were Jews.”
So author Susan Renni Anderson reminds her readers in her timely book, aptly titled Christianity’s Jewish Roots: A Study of Judaism for Christians. Despite its relatively short length of less than 200 pages, Anderson’s “Study” is densely packed with both ancient and modern subject matter regarding Judaism and how it relates to its descendant, Christianity. The many questions addressed in this work include but aren’t limited to:
Were the Pharisees and the “teachers of the law” the same people?
What does “diaspora” mean?
What is the significance of eating kosher?
What is the Shema, and why is it important?
How do modern Jews observe the Torah?

As a Christian and a history nerd, I looked forward to reading Christianity's Jewish Roots, but I did not expect to learn anything new. Happily, I was wrong. It turns out that I was ignorant of much more than I thought, and I appreciate being enlightened. For example, I now understand the distinctions between Pharisees, Sadducees, Essenes, Zealots, and teachers of the law. I especially enjoyed the chapter describing the Jewish holy days, how they began, what each one memorializes or celebrates, and how a modern Jewish family may participate. Anderson's work also overturned a few of my misconceptions about Jewish customs, such as why pious Jews do not write the divine name. Especially enriching was the official list of 613 laws given in the Torah, organized by subject, at the back of the book. Reading them in succession helped to illuminate many of Christ's teachings for me. I also applaud the fact that Anderson did not shy away from tough subjects and included an important chapter on the tragic history of antisemitism.

This is not to say that Christianity's Jewish Roots is faultless. While the editing quality is by no means sloppy, I found enough errors to cost the book a star, including missing closing punctuation, misplaced or missing periods and commas, occasional incomplete sentences, and at least one typo. Of more concern to me, though, were many incorrectly cited biblical quotations. While the quotes were correct, the cited verses often were not exactly right, and some direct quotations had no corresponding citation at all. Especially with regard to a work like Christianity's Jewish Roots, inaccurate or missing citations can undermine the book's credibility. Additionally, while this is not exactly a fault, it's worth noting to prospective readers that Anderson presents many unsubstantiated claims in a matter-of-fact manner. For example, she states the year of the exodus from Egypt as 1451 B.C., although, as of today, we have no conclusive proof for that date. If you're looking for engaging debate on fascinating but inconclusive biblical topics, this isn't the book for you.

Overall, I found Anderson's book informative and written in an approachable - even welcoming - style. I would describe it as a primer on the history of and differences/similarities between Judaism and Christianity, as it briefly covers a broad range of topics and whets the reader's appetite for further study. I recommend it to any reader who is interested in the subject matter, but it would probably offend those who object to the religious claims of either faith tradition. Works like this one are sorely needed, in my opinion. I award Christianity's Jewish Roots, by Susan Renni Anderson, 3 out of 4 stars for its efforts to bridge the unfortunate gap which can develop between modern Christians and Jews, who are essentially estranged members of the same family.

Christianity's Jewish Roots
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

I'm curious to know more about Christianity and its connection to Judaism, but the fact that this book has issues about accuracy in the citation of biblical quotes has gotten me a bit doubtful about this book. Loved reading your review.
Yvan Dexter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Yvan Dexter »

This is a nice book that talk about history of jewish religion and believe so I really interested in reading this book thank
Recee Ann
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-recee-ann.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Recee Ann »

Wow! This is great! I have always been curious about Judaism's connection to Christianity and now here it is. Interesting!
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Think I’d love to read to know more about Jewish culture and all that. Good book and good review
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

Pearl Thomas wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 08:35 I'm curious to know more about Christianity and its connection to Judaism, but the fact that this book has issues about accuracy in the citation of biblical quotes has gotten me a bit doubtful about this book. Loved reading your review.
I am also bothered when biblical citations apparently aren't double-checked in works like this one. I would still definitely recommend this book to the curious, though. Thank you for reading and replying!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

Yvan Dexter wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 08:45 This is a nice book that talk about history of jewish religion and believe so I really interested in reading this book thank
It certainly is an interesting and enlightening read. Thank you for checking out my review!
Samantha Simoneau

Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

Edit_or wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 09:23 Think I’d love to read to know more about Jewish culture and all that. Good book and good review
Yes, it is a fascinating subject, and this book is a good intro. Thank you for reading and replying!
Samantha Simoneau

Iqra Rafiq 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iqra-rafiq-1.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere

Post by Iqra Rafiq 1 »

I would like to read this book as I'm myself a Muslim and our roots are from Judaism and Christianity, I would love to read this book to increase my knowledge about my religion .thanks for such a great review. I appreciate the way you quoted the citation mistakes which according to me is important while debating about things.
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

Analysis of Christianity with other religion and lifestyle can be very interesting. Thanks for the review.
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

Those same questions which the author answered have been of great concern to me. Yeah, I know better from this review. Well done
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

I am an agnostic, so these types of book don't really excited me, but I think I will definitely read this one. I would like to have a clear distinctions between Christianity and Judaism, and judging by your review, I think this book will be it for me.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I love to read books that entails Christianity, beautiful review.
Akintola Ola
Favorite Book: Mere Christianity
Currently Reading: Chosen But Free
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akintola-ola.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Akintola Ola »

Thanks for this wonderful review. It was able to pique my interest in the book. I am a Christian and would love to know more about the origins of my faith. I however don't like that there were citation errors. Yes, I have a problem with that too.
John Karanja 1
Favorite Book: The Cadence of Excellence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-karanja-1.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by John Karanja 1 »

It was good review especially on the timelines of the Exodus, thanks

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”