Review of Physiology and Nutrition for Amateur Wrestling

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of Physiology and Nutrition for Amateur Wrestling

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Physiology and Nutrition for Amateur Wrestling" by Charles Paul Lambert, PhD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the fast-paced world of sports, nutrition results are just as important as how they are achieved. The time taken to achieve those results is also critical to the development process of the perfect athlete. Hence, the increased interest in sports nutrition.

Sports medicine and nutrition have evolved over the decades from a neglected backwater, dark art to a cutting-edge tool essential for achieving results. This is more obvious in the amateur wrestling scene. Physiology and Nutrition for Amateur Wrestling covers a step-by-step methodological analysis of all the necessary factors for nutritional progression in an amateur wrestler with ambitions to become a professional.

Charles Paul Lambert spared no effort in his research to cover every aspect of the amateur wrestler's needs. This is seen from the detailed description of body types and physiology. He also touches on the minuscule components involved in analyzing the food classes and quantities necessary for optimal athletic performance. The author draws the reader's attention to these often overlooked aspects called overtraining and nutrition for athletes in the twilight stages of their development.

This book may have been written with amateur wrestlers in mind. However, on closer analysis, one can confidently say the nutritional and physiological aspects can be applied to all amateur athletes as the needs of their various sports dictate. It also suffices to say that this book will benefit non-athletes who want to maintain healthy nutrition and physiology.

Readers may struggle with the various medical terms used in this book. One may even need an accompanying medical dictionary to reference some procedures explained in the book. Well, it doesn't come as a surprise to me. However, I doubt that the core audience of this book (wrestlers and athletes) will be able to wade through the avalanche of jargon.

I believe the tables and charts presented by the author are intended to aid the reader's understanding. Unfortunately, it does also have a negative effect on the reader. Breaking the reading flow to look at the tables can be distracting, especially when the reader has to deal with technical terms. The editing of the book is below par; there are a plethora of grammatical and structural errors. All in all, I rate Physiology and Nutrition for Amateur Wrestling 3 out of 4 stars. It will be too harsh to give it a 2-star rating.

This book is not for those who have a passing interest in sports nutrition or casual sports aficionados. It will be challenging to cope with the numerous measurements and calculations detailed within it daily. Sports medicine practitioners and nutritionists, on the other hand, will find this book immensely helpful as a guide in monitoring the progress of their wards or clients to the minutest of details.

Physiology and Nutrition for Amateur Wrestling
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I am not a fan of sports, this book is great but definitely not for me, nice review.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Although this is not my type of book, I can see that it holds a lot of valuable information for professional athletes. Thank you for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I think nutrition is a sensitive topic everyone needs to study on, I love nutrition books, nice review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”