Review of Running the Sahara

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ephy yunan
Favorite Book: Voice of the Elders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ephy-yunan.html
Latest Review: Doyle's Law by Sam Roberts

Review of Running the Sahara

Post by ephy yunan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Running the Sahara" by Marcel Nickler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Running the Sahara is an intense account of the Marathon Des Sables through Marcel Nickler's eyes. Marcel Nickler is at his holiday home in Grindelwald when he decides to enter the Marathon Des Sables.The Marathon Des Sables is something he had always wanted to participate in.Currently, it is thirty years after he first heard of the Marathon Des Sables. With the support of his wife and his two daughters, he starts planning his journey to the Sahara desert. He seeks the advice of a few friends about the race then he embarks on packing. It's not easy to pack for the Sahara because, despite the many supplies he needs, Marcel Nickler has to carry only the minimum. Every single thing he packs has to count.When he gets to the Sahara, he immediately discovers a beautiful world of dunes, Berbers and ridges. The story goes a long way in showing the impact of meticulous planning and discipline. The commitment practiced by Marcel Nickler allows him to maintain a positive mindset throughout the race. This is not just a story, but an entire journey to the Sahara.

What I liked about the book was the vivid description that Marcel Nickler applied. It made it easy to picture the Sahara desert and its beauty. The beautiful lifestyle, the culture of the people who live in the desert and the picturesque terrain of the Sahara is well depicted. There are dunes, stony valleys and sandy gorges. The notes on running that are written at the end of the novel are widely applicable. These are notes that can apply to any discipline under the sun. They are relevant to people of all professions. These made the book so easy to relate to. The story also brought out the courage and determination of the runners. I also loved the way the events and motives that lead to the marathon, were narrated.

I did not find anything to dislike about this story as I read the story. Running the Sahara was exceptionally well done in all aspects. The book was thoroughly inspirational and entertaining.

I would rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I give it the highest rating because the book was unbelievably entertaining and inspirational. I also believe that Running the Sahara is a tale to be enjoyed by people from all walks of life.

I would happily recommend the book to any audience above the age of thirteen. I would also recommend it to readers of inspirational and motivational books.

Running the Sahara
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”