Review of Report to Briselda: An Odyssey of Love

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review of Report to Briselda: An Odyssey of Love

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Report to Briselda: An Odyssey of Love" by Don E. Peavy Sr.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Report to Briselda: An Odyssey of Love by Don E. Peavy Sr. is a book written in form of a confessional report. As the name suggests, the reporter has addressed this confessional to a woman named Briselda, answering her questions about the reporter's life. It is a record of a 59-year-old man’s life, especially his romantic and marital relationships. The fact that he has been married seven times is what makes this report interesting to read.

After being into seven marital relations and divorced many times, he still longs for love. Each relationship is reported in detail from beginning to end in the book. The book not only contains accounts of seven failed marriages, but it also provides a vivid insight into a man’s mind and his views about relationships and love. Several forms of love are scrutinized in the book, especially the definitions of love in Greek culture. But what the reporter is looking for is Eros. According to him, it is not like ordinary romantic love or filial love; Eros is love at the level of the Souls. It is more than the love of the heart or the mind; it is the truest form of love. Human actions and love are examined in this book, but it majorly focuses on the concept of Eros.

I must admit, this book is nothing like I have ever read before. At first, It took me by surprise. I did not expect to read what the book holds. As I went on with reading, everything started making more sense about what it is all about. The author has presented many things through this book. The role of morals of a human being in a relationship like marriage, facing one's flaws or demons, contradicting the conspiracy theories, etcetera, are all penned down in this book.

What I liked the best about the book is the concept that love is all about letting go. We cannot force someone to love us or demand to be loved in a certain way. Everyone has their own will and their way of expressing love. Another thing I like about the book is it promotes the notion of moving on with life and leaving the past behind. Letting our past mess up with our present or future is not correct. What I did not like about the book is that it got too complex at some points. I had to read some things twice to understand what was being said. I believe that sometimes too much detail can be confusing, which I felt reading the book.

I spotted only a couple of errors in the book, which means it is finely edited. There is only one instance of minor profanity in the book. The language used in the book is somewhat poetic. It has plenty of religious content, especially relating to Christianity.

On the whole, I will rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars read. It offers a genuine insight into a man’s life who has been through so many different relationships. However, it was really difficult for me to wrap my head around the content. It got so intricate at times I thought it would kill my interest. Therefore, I did not give it a perfect rating.

I will recommend this book to a mature audience. It talks about marriage and conjugal duties, which I think is stuff for an older audience. Readers who like to read about human actions and the human mind must go for it. As mentioned above, it contains a considerable amount of religious content, so it might not be a suitable read for everyone.

Report to Briselda: An Odyssey of Love
View: on Bookshelves
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Love is a theme that permeates all lives. I am interested to learn more about the insights of someone that has been married seven times. Thank you for a lovely review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Love can be adventurous most times but going all over for seven times is really something. Sounds interesting. Nice review. Thank you.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”