Review of Communication Is Care

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Review of Communication Is Care

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Communication Is Care" by Jennifer George.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Communication is Care: 9 Empowering Strategies to Guide Patient Healing, Jennifer George, the author, shows that effective communication is necessary for fostering a successful patient-provider relationship, which translates into recovery for the patients.

Jennifer recounts how she became her father's caregiver after two surgeries that left him with health struggles. Through the eleven years that Jennifer dedicated to being her father's caregiver, she gained first-hand experience on both the expectations of the patient and the need for impactful communication in providing quality care to patients. Hence, she has given nine strategies that healthcare providers can use to communicate effectively with their patients and help them heal.

Firstly, I must thank the author for sharing her experiences through this book. I have always been interested in healthcare and have volunteered in local health centers. So I am glad I came across this remarkable book. Honestly, I think every healthcare provider should read it. What I like most about the book is the author's intelligible delivery. I enjoyed how she broke each of the strategies down to bits. There wasn't any part of the book that got me confused, and I liked the author's conversational tone. Additionally, the author used her experience as her father's caregiver and a physiotherapist to give real-life, relatable examples. I appreciated that part of the book because it helped me better understand the groundbreaking strategies she shared.

Furthermore, I appreciate the author's recommendations and advice throughout the book. For example, I agree that aspiring healthcare providers would benefit from clinical placements that focus on observing provider-patient communications. She also challenges providers not to see their work only as their job or career but their legacy. That's inspiring!

The author's touching story about her father's journey after his first surgery makes this book hard to put down. I loved how she continued to tell her father's story as the lessons progressed. I am glad the author found the inspiration to become a physiotherapist through what her father endured and decided to educate healthcare providers through this book. She even leaves some questions that readers can reflect on to assess their communication skills and inspire them to provide quality care to patients.

In conclusion, this is a must-read for healthcare providers, and I don't think I can praise the book enough. There wasn't a thing that I disliked about it, and I am wholeheartedly awarding the book a well-deserved four out of four stars. I found only a minor error throughout the book, which is praiseworthy. I highly recommend Communication is Care: 9 Empowering Strategies to Guide Patient Healing to healthcare providers, especially those who wish to gain insights into how they can communicate to patients with empathy and compassion and guide them to recovery.

Communication Is Care
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Thank you for your excellent review. I too believe that communication is critical in health care.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Joyjen
Currently Reading: My living Will
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyjen.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

Post by Joyjen »

Effective communication is something crucial in our daily lives, that we should always put into consideration. What an amazing review, I would like to read the book by myself.
Sarah C McHum
Favorite Book: Do I Need a Will or a Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-c-mchum.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Sarah C McHum »

Hi Bruno!
I've never thought that communication can be very impactful in the field of health-care, and I am really curious to read the book myself. Thanks for sharing a nice review!
Jay Quest
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jay Quest »

Communication is everything in life, and it must be passed in an effective and comprehensive way. Communication must be a two way traffic for it to meet it's purpose.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

I never imagine the connection between communicate and care. It's nice that the book emphasized several themes which I would like to read about. Great review!
Ntombifuthi Londi
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntombifuthi-londi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ntombifuthi Londi »

This book has piqued my interest. It appears to be instructive and informative. I'm also a great believer in the need of communication in all aspects of life, including business. I also feel it contributes to a small reduction in mental health difficulties. We can recover more effectively if we talk more. The book is fantastic! Great review
Obioma CM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obioma-cm.html
Latest Review: Higher Ground by Sophia Edwards-Bennett MD PhD

Post by Obioma CM »

Great to see someone putting down their experiences in book. Great review. I must say it's compelling.
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

Communication plays a big role in health-care. There's also some experiences included on the book. Thanks for a wonderful review!
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

I have to know that Communication plays a crucial aspect in our lives. Great review.
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

While it seems like common sense to me that communication is the core aspect of providing care, it is an unfortunate scene that we observe in healthcare institutions that are often understaffed with a faulty administrative system, making it difficult to provide the emotional aspects of caring. It often comes down to just being a job, duty, and money. Glad that this book emphasizes this issue.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I totally understand that communication has a connection with care, as one can't care if they don't communicate, I find this book highly educative, thanks for the honest review.
peter-turo
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peter-turo.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by peter-turo »

This is an insightful book that advocates the need for better communication between health-care providers and patients. The author has backed up his points with first-hand expirience . Thanks for a lovely review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”