Review of Giving Back

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
2021 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: Into The Light by Anne Winthrop Cordin

Review of Giving Back

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Giving Back" by Edward A. Joseph.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Giving Back by Edward A. Joseph is a collection of 50 articles written by the author. A good part of the articles had already been published. They discuss themes that range from health, personal experiences, and dealing with old age, among others. After all, who is Edward A. Joseph? He is a wise and versatile retiree who holds three academic degrees. The author has worked in civil construction, bars, the public school system and currently writes books. Even though he is 76 years old, Edward is very willing and intends to teach life lessons.

When you finish reading the first article, the reader realizes that the book is easy to read and funny. One only needs few minutes to complete each piece, and most of them are two or three pages long. There are hilarious accounts of past events, like when the author says that his father's pants caught fire in the middle of a horse race. There is also plenty of uplifting advice for resilience and effort. The author has been very successful in providing advice in a playful and non-sermon-like manner. I am fond of books that simultaneously teach and entertain, and I can say without a doubt that simplicity is the most poignant quality of this book.

The only negative aspect anyone can mention (if this can be considered a defect) is that the target audience is very restricted to people over 60 years old. I don't mean that anyone outside that age group can't like the book. Don't get me wrong: I'm a young adult, and I found the book fascinating. The point is that many young people will probably find some articles very monotonous and boring. Unfortunately, many young people will not be interested in reading how the author traveled over 2,000 miles to enjoy a pie or exercises to control an overactive bladder. It's a shame because all the articles contain words of wisdom that everyone could use, regardless of age.

As I do not consider the points presented in the previous paragraph to be defects, I enjoyed reading this work very much, and I gladly rate Giving Back four out of four stars. The text is beautifully laid out and proofread. I just found an irrelevant grammatical error. It is a lovely work written by an average Joe who experienced many things in life and learned in different fields of human knowledge. As the sage learns from the mistakes of others, this book is highly recommended.

I recommend this book for readers over 60 or those interested in growing old while keeping quality of life. There are many valuable pieces of advice in this book, and one can absorb a lot of content in a read that can be done in a few hours.

Giving Back
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Joyjen
Currently Reading: My living Will
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyjen.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Joyjen »

This sounds like amazing, your description of the book, the setting and high praise for the authors ability to insight readers makes this an appealing story. Thanks for the exiting recommendation.
Jay Quest
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jay Quest »

This sounds like astounding, your portrayal of the book, the setting and high acclaim for the writers capacity to understanding perusers makes this an engaging story. Much obliged for the leaving proposal.
Nazzy_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nazzy.html
Latest Review: The Great Awakening by Arthur F Seymour

Post by Nazzy_ »

What a good review. It's good that this book emphasizes several themes which I will certainly love to read.
Obioma CM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obioma-cm.html
Latest Review: Higher Ground by Sophia Edwards-Bennett MD PhD

Post by Obioma CM »

Would make a good read definitely. I enjoyed reading your review.
Ntombifuthi Londi
2021 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntombifuthi-londi.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by Ntombifuthi Londi »

The book's title piqued my interest. The review was likewise excellent. I'm interested in reading the book because it appears to be entertaining and intriguing. Great job on the review

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”