Review of Chew With Your Mind Open

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Review of Chew With Your Mind Open

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chew With Your Mind Open" by Cameron Day.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Uniqueness is a trait many businesses look for when they are hiring people. This idea is no different in advertising. Chew With Your Mind Open, written by Cameron Day, is a book that gives readers stories and advice about how to create and maintain an advertising career. The author writes stories about people he has worked with, advertising proposals he has made, tips that can help new employees in this career field, and much more. The people’s names are anonymous, but the stories used are realistic and raw. Are you looking for a book that isn’t afraid to say how difficult building a career is? Are you ready to get advice from someone who knows what it is like to work hard to get what they want? If you answered yes to either of these questions, you should get a copy of this book right away.

My favorite aspect of this book is how Cameron is not afraid to speak his mind at any point in the book. He uses profane words consistently, but there is a note at the beginning stating his opinion about the use of these words. An example of this is when the author had to deal with a mean boss. In one of the stories about an airline account, he named the director Richard. As many people know, the nickname for a person with this name is Dick. Based on how Richard treated the author, I can see why Cameron chose this name when talking about him.

I also enjoyed learning about the creative mindset an advertising employee has. The author gave readers a story about a man who made a video resume asking if he could work for Sprite. This video was significant because the man showed his creative side to the company and what he would bring to the table in exchange for employment. This video is proof that uniqueness is the key to getting further in one’s career, not borrowing ideas from advertising award books.

I cannot think of any negatives about this book; it was witty, practical, and enjoyable. Given my comments about Chew With Your Mind Open, I see no reason to rate it less than 4 out of 4 stars. There is one proposal story that is sexual in nature, but there is no intercourse involved. I only found a few grammatical errors, which means the book was edited by a professional.

Even though this book is for readers building a career in advertising, it can also appeal to readers who are building their careers in any business field. The tips at the end of each chapter are golden nuggets that readers can use to stand out in their companies and increase their chances of getting hired for their dream job. Readers who are offended by excessive use of profanity may not enjoy this book.

Chew With Your Mind Open
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Sarah C McHum
Favorite Book: Do I Need a Will or a Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-c-mchum.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Sarah C McHum »

Hi Katie! Thank you so much for your review. I was interested in the book by just looking at the title. And after reading your review, I got to know more about the book and become more interested to read it. I like a kind of book that is based on personal experience. It makes it more relatable.
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

What an interesting title! Thank you for your wonderful review. But I think I'll pass on this one.
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

The author knows certainly knows how to grab your attention! Just the title is enough! Great job! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Recee Ann
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-recee-ann.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Recee Ann »

Just the title Chew With Your Mind Open got me hooked. Nice introduction and review. Great job Katie!
Khalisa Masuku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khalisa-masuku.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Khalisa Masuku »

Honestly from the get go the title really grabbed me so I clicked on this review. Katie Canedy you really did a great job at reviewing this book because I am even more enticed. "Chew with your mind open" already plays with the phrase "chewing with your mouth open" which for some people is against the norm of eating so making the connection with the book on how the author wants the readers to go against the norm of thinking. I will be definetly checking this book out. Thanks again!
Ntombifuthi Londi
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntombifuthi-londi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ntombifuthi Londi »

This book is precisely what I require at this time in my life. My career is coming to a halt, and I'd be grateful for any assistance I can obtain. This is a book I will undoubtedly read. Great review
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

This book will certainly be a guide in one's career journey.
I think if we must all succeed in our career journey, we shouldn't be afraid of taking bold steps and sharing our ideas and thoughts.
I certainly will read this book.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

This book will certainly be a guide in one's career journey. I think if we must all succeed in our career journey, we shouldn't be afraid of taking bold steps and sharing our ideas and thoughts. I certainly will read this book.
Joyjen
Currently Reading: My living Will
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyjen.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

Post by Joyjen »

This sounds amazing, your description of the book and high praise for the authors ability to insight readers makes this an appealing story. Thanks for the exiting recommendation.
Abigail Baloyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Abigail Baloyi »

This book is so interesting. I'm very sure that everyone who wants to know what is like to work hard to get what they want, it's a must for them to get this book. I would like to read more about this book. Thank you very much for your wonderful review!
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

The title actually got me first and the review of the book did measure up to my expectations of the book.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I think everyone needs a book like this, I love and enjoy reading career books, beautiful review.
Joseph Micheal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Joseph Micheal »

Thanks some much for your review, and in addition to what my great author said up there is that, be yourself,do your own new things,and work hard once again if you can dream it,you can achieve it,I love the idea
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

To begin with, the book's title is really humorous. I believe the author has done a good job of grabbing the reader's interest right away with the title! Thanks for this review! I loved reading it.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”