Review of Li-emba

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Review of Li-emba

Post by Abacus »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Li-emba" by Martin Moluwa Matute.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Readers - a treat is in store! Li-Emba will delight and captivate your appreciation of another culture by translating Bantu-origin words into English throughout the manuscript.

The story, composed in impeccable English by Martin Moluwa Matute, instantly reflects the discerning character of the bright, observant young man he was. He reveals his world in Buea Town, Cameroon, and we gain cultural insight into “the spirit and human worlds” prevalent in Africa.

I appreciate the author bringing his world into focus for us. When he attended Saint Joseph’s College, Sasse, the school had a ghost which the author confronted one night with consequences. He has described in profound detail many events in which the spirit world dominates. I felt like I was in the village, scared to death, seeing the dirt floors, having snarling, biting dogs in my face, and chickens flying around looking for safety. When a community believes in the spirit world, the effect is intensely emotional, beyond logic, and comes from fear and imagination. Thus, the provenance of the sub-title "The Community Destroyer" is explained.

I enjoyed the exposure to words like Mot’a Nyo-ngo and Mot’a Li-Emba, which describe men with mystical powers who charge for their services. The community disruption begins here; the mystics determine if a person is bewitched based on nothing more than a person suffering misfortune. In this eerie nether world, people believe a Mot’a Nyo-ngo and Mot’a Li-emba can remove the essence of a person, leaving them without a soul.

I liked most that this is not a book to be read hastily and move on. Instead, this is a book to submerge yourself in the charming examples of the Bantu language and take time to ponder about the exploiters and the exploited in this society. In addition, if you like sports, you will relish the author's enthusiastic coverage of soccer (football) and hunting.

The events retold by the author are scary or humorous or both. But, all are fascinating. For example, a chicken becomes a pet, dies and magically recovers, and ultimately dies but returns as a ghost fowl, Wu-w’Elimo. A mystic speaks in the Oba-szri-jo tongues that provides a historical link to modern-day speaking in tongues. A child worries about showing respect to a villager Li-Emba, especially when they could not avoid being face-to-face on the narrow trails through the village.

I award 4 out of 4 stars to Li-Emba – The Community Destroyer for impeccable English, the creative addition of Bantu into the text, and the completeness of the story. I do not award it less because it possesses historical value attesting to the vibrant culture of Africa, the “cradle of civilization.” I detected no errors and therefore considered the manuscript to be professionally edited. There was nothing that I disliked.

I recommend this book to scholars, people interested in other cultures and languages, anthropologists, young adults, and travelers.

Li-emba
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

As much as I love to explore different cultures and languages, I think this one will bring me joy too. Thanks for a lovely review.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

As an African, I am drawn to this book. Thank you for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

The concept of culture just fascinates me and the African culture is one such beautiful creation that I so much admire. I would love to read this book.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I love that the book emphasizes on history and cultures, nice review.
Abacus

Post by Abacus »

Paluk Pathania wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 04:29 As much as I love to explore different cultures and languages, I think this one will bring me joy too. Thanks for a lovely review.
That would make it an exceptional read; thanks for the comment.
Abacus

Post by Abacus »

Niens Now wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 04:46 As an African, I am drawn to this book. Thank you for a great review.
Thanks for the comment.
Abacus

Post by Abacus »

Pearl Thomas wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 06:03 The concept of culture just fascinates me and the African culture is one such beautiful creation that I so much admire. I would love to read this book.
I agree with you. Thanks for commenting.
Abacus

Post by Abacus »

Gabriella1997 wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 01:04 I love that the book emphasizes on history and cultures, nice review.
Me too! Thanks for the comment.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

This book is characterized by different element, which make it an enjoyable one to read. Great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”