Review of Machinery of Gravity

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Review of Machinery of Gravity

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Machinery of Gravity" by David Franklin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Most of us have at least a general understanding of the law of gravity. Throughout Machinery of Gravity: Generalized Equivalence, David Franklin presents and explores an alternate line of thinking. It is a thought-provoking notion, markedly different from our usual idea of gravity as an attractive force.

The book challenges the common point of view that matter attracts matter. Based on Newtonian physics, this traditional concept fails to consider the second law of thermodynamics. The author argues that this shortcoming leads to a few contradictions. Instead, Franklin posits that gravity could result from a pushing phenomenon caused by the Earth expanding and walks readers through Generalized Equivalence (GEQ), also known as the Expansion Hypothesis. The bulk of the book is devoted to explaining this alternative hypothesis.

As one might imagine, the book is sometimes a dense and demanding read. There is a lot of math in it, for the author uses several complex equations to support his line of thinking. However, this did not detract from the reading experience, and I enjoyed reading the book.

What I liked the most was the instructive and straightforward language used by the author. Franklin defines, explains, and explores GED and applies this new notion to various problems in physics. Franklin’s writing style is accessible, making advanced science seem approachable to the lay reader. For instance, I appreciated the skillful way the author approaches and explains the second law of thermodynamics, coordinate systems, Occam’s razor, and many other scientific notions and theories. It’s a challenging task, but Franklin gets there. There’s a wealth of information, and I appreciated the thoughtful examples, analogies, and metaphors, especially regarding space and time.

I also enjoyed how the author discusses the scientific method and how new paradigms come to be. I particularly liked his reference to Thomas Kuhn and his seminal work about the structure of scientific revolutions. The author includes a great discussion about the meaning of truth, taking readers on a journey through the history of science and physics. Admirably, Franklin doesn’t dodge the obstacles to overcome to take GED to the next level, and I appreciated this.

In closing, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I have no negatives worth mentioning. I did find a few editing mishaps, but they weren’t enough to warrant the removal of a star from the rating. If you enjoy popular science titles, especially the ones about physics, this book will surely please you. If you dislike complex scientific theories, you should steer clear of it, though.

Machinery of Gravity
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Maliha Naveed
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Tales from the Grey Area
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maliha-naveed.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Post by Maliha Naveed »

This seems to be an interesting read. I myself do not very much understand complex scientific theories but the way you have reviewed the book, shows that I will get something about it. Thanks for encouraging to read it.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

This looks like a challenging read. I am curious about the author's point of view: I had never heard of this Expansion Hypothesis. Thank you for the interesting review!
Priya_Singh
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-singh.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Priya_Singh »

I want to give this book a try. I am curious about the authors' research and theory. Expansion theory, seems to.be worth reading. Thank you for your in-depth review.🌻🌼
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

Wow, finally seeing a book about physic, I would love to read this wonderful book. Great review.
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

Seems like an interesting topic. will be a good suggestion for my sciency friends. Thank you for your detailed review.
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

Being a physics student myself, it would be interesting to read about the author's viewpoint on the topic of gravity and thermodynamics. Looks like a good read for me. Thank You!
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

Science books are really not my kind of books but I would love to read more about this book, beautiful review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”