Review of I Hate Campaign Hats

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review of I Hate Campaign Hats

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Hate Campaign Hats" by Randall Stevens.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I Hate Campaign Hats by Randall Stevens is a delightful memoir presenting a narration on his early years of life, focusing on the ones he spent as a part of law enforcement. It is not a crime fiction styled story but an honest account of his life as a police officer. A fact about the book, I feel worth mentioning, is that the author started making notes to write this book 50 years ago but finally managed to complete it during the COVID 19 pandemic.

The book begins with the time when the author was a young man and carried a dream to become a state police officer. His dream was not easy to achieve as he faced failures multiple times, but he always had an optimistic attitude like his father. The story follows the time he spent training under autocratic seniors. This part of the story reveals many latent facts about the police authorities, which were quite shocking. The readers will get to know about some not-so-good side of the police. An account of how he met his wife is one of the most amusing parts of his story. The author has also included events from the time he spent on duty. These are very entertaining yet eye-opening to some harsh realities of the life of a police officer. In total, it is a journey of the author from becoming a state police officer to a DIU agent, featuring his time working undercover for the Narcotics Bureau too.

The author has tried to deliver a message through this account of his life that the life of a police officer has its pros and cons, but it is no better or worse than the life of an ordinary man. The author spent 32 years of his service life but has managed to focus on some of the dominant incidents of his life that he felt worth mentioning. The book has humor, but it also targets emotions.

The best thing about the book is its authenticity. As I mentioned earlier, the author began making notes fifty years ago, which is why the book is a sincere and original account of his life. The words of the author manage to sink in beautifully. It is a captivating read. Honestly, there is nothing to dislike about the book.

Coming to the editing part, I found no noticeable typos or errors. It is professionally edited. The writing style of the author is brilliant. The tone is friendly and thoughtful. There is profanity used in the dialogue.

On the whole, I will rate this a 4 out of 4 stars read. It is an enjoyable read. The author has penned down the ups and downs of his life as a police officer. Some of the parts were highly entertaining, and some were thought-provoking. I was skeptical at first, but as I dived deeper into the text, the book had me in its grasp. Hence, the perfect rating.

I would recommend this book to everyone, especially to the fans of auto-biographies. Readers who like to read about law enforcement must also go for this book. People who are intrigued by the lives of state officials should give this book a try. If you are looking for high crime and action, this book is not suitable for you. I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did.

I Hate Campaign Hats
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

A look at the life of a police officer sounds promising. It must be quite a story if he used notes from over 50 years. Thank you for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Recee Ann
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-recee-ann.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Recee Ann »

That's just how life is, it isn't and can never be balanced. I was expecting something related to voting and corruption since the title of the book was giving me that impression but this is way cooler.
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

This book is definitely not for me,law enforcement books doesn’t intrest me,beautiful review.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

Books about law enforcement honestly doesn't interest me, thanks for the honest review.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

A book documenting the life of a law enforcement officer seems interesting. I would like to see more of this. Congrats!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting non-fiction memoir highlighting the author's years of life, focusing on the ones he spent as a part of law enforcement. The book is temporarily discounted on Kindle Unlimited and has an inciteful OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Laww
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laww.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Laww »

Law enforcement is arguably one of the most controversial jobs to take. However, the role it plays ought to be understood and from your reviews, this is a n informative book. Nice review.
KatM_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katm.html
Latest Review: Brutal Valour: The Tragedy of Isandlwana by James Mace

Post by KatM_ »

This sounds like an interesting book and the fact that the author used notes from over 50 years ago is what draws me to read it. It is about life and how you struggle at first but in the end you persevere. Thanks for the beautiful review.
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

Seems to be an interesting book as how a person gets in the police force in spite of so many difficulties in getting selected for the same. Author has narrated the incidents in a captivating manner. The review is very well made and thanks for the same.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

I'm anxious to read about those private experiences of police officers that the public don't get to see. I congratulatet the author on being the #BOTD!
Tars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 351

Post by Tars »

Wow, the author deserves admiration for keeping up for so long even though it would have been way easier to just abandon the task. Unfortunately, despite all things good said about the book it is not the one able to interest me. Starting with the fact that memoirs are not my genre, ending - subject matter don't appeal to me. Still congrats on BOTD!
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

I thought this book was all about election campaign, but the review didn't mention any. Though law enforcement was different in my country, I salute to all police officer. Despite the gap of the years, the author has a positive attitude in writing this book, which is a good vibe in sharing his thoughts. Plus, doing undercover assignment is too risky, but for the sake of the country, it's priceless.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

We are going to elect a new president in three weeks, so I also assumed this book is about campaigning. I wonder if the author talks about how police work 50 years ago is similar or different from how it is at present. I wonder too how my country's police force compares with its US counterpart.
Toca Fonseca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toca-fonseca.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Toca Fonseca »

What an amazing review! I was always a big fan of autobiographies and these kinds of memoirs, but the fact that it has been written throughout all those moments, starting 50 years ago, sparks some charm and enchantment into the story. Although I must confess the title is rather curious... I would've never associated it with this kind of book. Maybe I'll have to read it to understand :techie-studyingbrown:
Last edited by Toca Fonseca on 22 Apr 2022, 08:06, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”