Review of Do I Need a Will or a Trust

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Authentic Voice
Favorite Book: Selling with Presence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-authentic-voice.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Review of Do I Need a Will or a Trust

Post by Authentic Voice »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Do I Need a Will or a Trust" by Taylor Willingham.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

To have a successful successor is the most fulfilling thing that both parents and guardians will wish to have. What will happen to my family when I die? How can I maintain the legacy and properties that will be left behind when I am no more? Do I Need A Will or a Trust? These are the question many are asking themselves. Taylor Phillip Willingham begins from the ancient story of Rome. Rome experienced failure because of the emperor Marcus Aurelius’ son who became his successor. Looking at how the successor failed, I have to consider the matter of will and trust carefully.

The author answers the question not in a single word but in a chart format. The author describes and explains the best model by which the deceased properties can be equally shared. It seems fit to understand the types of property as one is making considerations of whether to use the will or trust. Most of his clients did not make proper or no estate planning. Ignorance of importance, indifference, cost, time and effort, complexity, and reluctance to admit mortality are some causes of lack of prior and proper estate planning. With a great eye-opening, the author reveals how poor estate planning affects more women than men. It is a disaster to draft a will without and expert assistance. Just the way it is catastrophic to leave properties to beneficiaries without a proper designation. The importance of including a legal professional when considering a will or a trust is paramount. The author brings out the importance of having trust. With the growing blended family and need to protect minors, trust is the best option. Indeed, creditors are not only people that trust protects the beneficiaries from, but also protect beneficiaries from themselves. With all expert advice, the author does not shun giving warnings about wrong practices.

The real stories that are cited as examples open up the reader's mind to consider the subject carefully. I had to think through how the ignorance of these matters concerning the will and trust can be costly and painful not only for those involved after one has passed on. Mrs. Beth lost the portion of the estate when her husband died. There was no prior planning, and Beth had no idea that the husband had fathered a child when he was 14. She did not enjoy the wealth she had made with her husband.

Not only does this book contain serious jargon that attorneys would enjoy, but also memes that common citizens can relate with. The author employs sarcasm in his expressions. They are well organized that one continuously finds a smile at every chapter after a serious matter has been discussed. This is enhanced by Jim Gaffigan’s quotations at the beginning of every chapter. The charts and tables are used to allow the reader to visualize the concepts that are explained.

One of the dislikes I found is that I struggled to grasp all the definitions of legal jargon. I had to pause and go recheck since I am not familiar with the terms myself. However, that does not destruct my reading.

This book is full of educative and valuable information for anyone who is concern enough for life before and after his or her death. The content is simplified and a lot is clarified between Will and trust. I unreservedly rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The book is exceptionally edited. The parents and those practicing attorneys will draw benefits from this author's experiences. I greatly recommend this book to those struggling to understand will and trust.

Do I Need a Will or a Trust
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

The author tells the reader about the difference between a will and a trust fund. The real stories will help readers understand the importance of thinking about this topic. Mrs. Beth's example lays emphasis on how easily things could go wrong. Thanks for the great review.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

To understand the difference between a will and a trust is of utmost importance. It seems a must-read book. Thanks for the amazing review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”