Review of How to Survive the Coming Retirement Storm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How to Survive the Coming Retirement Storm" by Robert Margetic.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As you approach retirement, you anticipate a lot of changes ahead, and there are a lot of things you need to consider. From financial needs to healthcare needs, while considering the more limited streams of income that most retirees have, going into retirement is daunting for many. To put this into perspective, "fifty-five percent of people approaching retirement fear outliving their money, forty-five percent fear Alzheimer’s disease and nursing homes, fifty-one percent feel they cannot maintain their lifestyle in retirement, while seventy-five percent state they are not prepared to manage retirement for thirty years." - Page 10.

Therefore, How to Survive the Coming Retirement Storm: A Five-Step Process for Success in Volatile Times by Robert Margetic, an experienced financial advisor, is of utmost importance, as the author attempts to guide people approaching retirement on what retirement entails, how to prepare for it, how to live their best lives in retirement, and even utilize their finances after retirement.

While I thought that the book was all about helping people manage retirement from a financial standpoint, the author does extremely well to go much deeper than that, covering every aspect of a retiree's life (personal, social, dietary, physical, and more) and clearly showing the necessary adjustments needed. The level of depth to this book definitely stands out above all else and is my favorite aspect.

Robert Margetic commences by giving us an insight into the realities that retirees face, presenting facts and figures to support his claims. I have to admit that reality seems very scary, especially with the retirement storm that is coming to rock the current retirement system due to the number of people approaching retirement and inflation. Nevertheless, this serves as an urgent call to action, and all hope is not lost if changes are made starting from today, which you will see when you pick up this book.

The financial markets in the U.S. can be difficult for many people to understand, but the author shows his experience in this field, introducing us to several processes and models (Longevity Pod, POISE process, and Drawdown Ratio) that readers can apply to not only get the best out of their investments, savings, income (social security and/or employer income), and taxes but also manage the balance between their income sources and lifestyle expenses. The level of in-depth, simplified knowledge offered in these areas will be very helpful, and the author includes methods that can be used to track progress and inform readers of their current status, hence readers will know if a change or how much change is needed in their lifestyles at any point in time.

Furthermore, there is a lot of calculating and strategizing in the book, which may overwhelm some readers initially, but I am sure that they will gradually adjust by practicing the author's methods. The only thing I did not like about the book was its editing, as I found numerous distracting errors while reading, and they got even worse as I read further. A professional editor's touch will make this book a perfect read, but as it stands, I rate this guide three out of four stars. Readers who are approaching retirement will hugely benefit from this book, as they will learn how to make calculated assumptions and deal with change, including predictable and unpredictable change.

"Entering retirement is like training for a sporting competition. You trained well, psyched yourself up, put on your game face, and are ready to go. You will not know how effective you are until you play the game. Once the game begins, your deficiencies get exposed, you encounter the elements and compensate and adjust." - Page 59.

How to Survive the Coming Retirement Storm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

Retirement stages of life seems to be a time when plan is very a priority. Thus, the essence of this book.
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

Retirement stages doesn’t sound funny at all,I think it requires a lot of training,I would love to know more about retirement stages,nice review.
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Think I’ll to get for my parents . Thank you for the review
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

Retirement stages needs a lot of training and planning, would love to read this book to my parents, thanks for the honest review.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

Retirement is a huge milestone in one's life, and the impact is not to be underestimated. Such a book at the one reviewed here, giving insight in financial models all the while also considering other aspects of retirement, is a great asset to help prepare.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting educational nonfiction book highlighting the retirement storm, the fear of outliving one's money, and maintaining a lifestyle. The book is temporarily discounted on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

I think that the retirement process is something that we are preparing ourselves for since the day we first went to school to learn. Retirement seems daunting because there are problems that we need to consider, and I hope this book tackles that one by one for us to learn more on how to survive during our late years. Thank you for the wonderful review!
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Since almost everybody will one day retire, I would advise that the younger you are when you read this book, the better. Thank you for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

This is definitely inspiring and helpful. Retirement is an inevitable storm, and we must all get prepared for it. Thank you for the review.
Jorge Leon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

The topic of retirement is especially important for those who are close to facing it. It seems appropriate that the focus is not only financial but also covers other points such as health and personal and social life. I certainly think this book would be useful to prepare for that stage.
ADESAM1234+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adesam1234.html
Latest Review: The Blue View by Rodney Muterspaw

Post by ADESAM1234+ »

Thinking about retirement and all that it takes to live on after it, can be likened to thinking about the end times (doom's day or glorious day). It brings sorrow, making one to be perplexed if one has nothing to welcome it. It brings joy and hope if one has fully prepared ahead for it.

Everyone should endeavour to prepare ahead of it in order to survive its qualms.

Thank you.
Tebogo Eugene M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tebogo-eugene-m.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Tebogo Eugene M »

Interesting book will put in mind for the future. Thanks for the review for lighting us that the book speaks about retirement and how to prepare for it including financial, health and more. "How to Survive the Coming Retirement Storm" by Robert Margetic. :drool:
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

Retirement does seem like a scary time for some people who do not have enough financial savings. I'm glad that the author has covered all the aspects of a retiree's life and tried to guide them in preparing for it. I'm not a fan of the genre, so I'll be skipping it, but I'm sure it'll be beneficial to the ones who do read it.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

As I am not close to retirement yet, I cannot relate to the topic, but I am sure that this book can be useful to many.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”