Review of "LOGJAM of a Beauteous MIND"

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of "LOGJAM of a Beauteous MIND"

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of ""LOGJAM of a Beauteous MIND"" by Peter Simon Karp.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

LOGJAM of a Beauteous MIND by Peter Simon Karp is a memoir centered on the life of the author's wife, Mona. He recounts their life with their two sons and how they could come together as a family to get through a trying time in their lives. The character of Mona comes across as a sweet, gentle, and free-spirited woman who loves life, her family, and work. She is ready to make any sacrifices for the ones she loves. Like her personality, her life is much the same — calm and sweet.

Peter presents this memoir almost as some form of a eulogy about his wife, Mona. He renders the account of her life in a creative way and with a simple and easy language. The book is divided into three titled parts representing significant highlights in the life of Mona. The author's rendering of the story moves retrogressively at some points and then jumps to a future event. Peter alternates between the two narrative methods to give readers some background and then pushes forward to a present status while still giving insight into the future. This narrative combo presents an overall creative picture.

LOGJAM of a Beauteous MIND compels readers to explore the realities of life, however uncomfortable they may seem. The looming doom of death and the ever-constant race of life plays in the reader's mind throughout the read. The author presents, for contrast, our quest for the achievement of purpose and life goals against the brevity of human life. Readers will be challenged to confront their mortality to become more comfortable with their phobia for the unknown end. It is incredible how the author, despite the graveness of the central narration of this memoir, manages to include humor in his recount. However, the humor may appear twisted to some readers. He even showcases his positivity when he categorically states that "nothing good can perish ___all Beauty shines forever."

Peter exposes readers to a possibility of the existence of another realm in the spirit — a possibility that may appear superstitious. For instance, Peter thinks that blackbirds' appearance bears similar significance to the appearance of vultures in the African setting as harbingers of doom or a bad omen. Perhaps it is this disbelief in 'superstitions' that Peter seeks to challenge. He hopes to compel the reader to examine these possibilities, which civilization, computerization, and science have seemingly relegated to the background.

This book is recommended for readers who enjoy good stories about love and courage. Religious people may also find it endearing. Besides a few minor errors, this book is faultless. Therefore, I rate it four out of four stars.

"LOGJAM of a Beauteous MIND"
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

I enjoy reading good stories about love,I think I would add this book to my book shelves,nice review.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I love to read stories about love, I think Mona is an interesting character, beautiful review.
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

Wow. It's an honor to have a man love his wife so much that he lives in through the memories and even write a memoir. Great review.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

While this seems like a story of loss and grief it is also a story of love. It is always touching witnessing such love. I agree it does seems like a beautiful eulogy. Great job with the review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 83952
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1153%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

BOTD is a none fictional memoir of a man recounting his wife battling terminal cancer as well as the distressing side effects ..with the bad side effects from chemotherapy mona was most affected congnitives she called it #logjam a mental fogginess that married her short term memories the book is both melancholic and engaging the love he had for her wife was without question the author generally unadorned protein this touching memoir boast instances of lyricism
Ifesi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifesi.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Ifesi »

Another memoir. Memoirs are not my genre but I admire that an author has lots of stuffs to tell people. Amazing review. Congratulations on winning BOTD.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an inspirational non-fiction memoir highlighting the life of the author's wife, Mona, their life with their two sons, and getting through a trying time in their lives. The book has a free sample on Amazon Kindle and has an amazing OnlineBookClub review.
Archie Sendo
Currently Reading: A New God in Athens
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Archie Sendo »

This book covers human lives destiny and reality it shows the possibility of things to happen in many ways than what we think of it.
Bernisha
Currently Reading: Woman Evolve
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bernisha.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Bernisha »

From the review, the book seems to be a bit family oriented and gives insights about the realities of life. Indeed, it is possible for two strangers to become one and create a family with love and togetherness. Mona, having a sweet and calm personality, and being willing to make any sacrifice for the ones she love is a great example for the readers. This is the true essence of family.
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

Mona has a sweet and kind personality, she is also brave and strong. At least this is how her husband sees her through his own eyes. What a lovely couple.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

This sounds like a very interesting book! The only thing I am hesitant about is that it makes the reader think about their mortality. Now that I am older I do enough of that as it is! I want to look at life in a lighter, happier way! I am going to put this on my want-to-read list and consider reading it in the future. Thanks for another outstanding review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

A story about loss, love, memories and seeing the happiness even in such a sad period!
The Review is well written and makes you think about how tomorrow isn't guaranteed.
Allia Danville
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Allia Danville »

Not my type of book to read but people who are going through the same as author wife should read the book and see not all hope is lost.
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

This seems like a really lovely read. The author trying to share a beautiful story of his wife and all she meant to him. Such is emotional and loving. The review is on par with what anyone should expect. Nice review.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”