Review of Nervous Energy: Harness the Power of Your Anxiety

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Review of Nervous Energy: Harness the Power of Your Anxiety

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nervous Energy: Harness the Power of Your Anxiety" by Dr. Chloe Carmichael.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you plan your goals to the tiniest details? Evaluate choices until you get analysis paralysis? Are you constantly trying to keep ahead of your to-do list—even if the due date is months away? If the answer is “yes” then this book may have some pointers for you.

Nervous Energy: Harness the Power of Your Anxiety, by Dr. Chloe Carmichael, is a step-by-step guide for “high functioning” people. It provides nine techniques to reroute and harness “nervous energy”—rather than collapse under it. The book is part of the author’s Nervous Therapy Approach, which she developed for her clients.

Two major concepts act as anchors and are repeated throughout the book: “high functioning” person and “nervous energy”. To fully grasp (and appreciate) Carmichael’s advice, it is imperative to understand those concepts—or else, continuing the book would be grim; I did have to reread those parts. On the bright side, this former yoga instructor gives plenty of examples to illustrate her points. For example, a helpful list of traits comparing a high and basic functioning person.

Be prepared to be engaged while reading—a pen and paper would be good. The nine techniques come with various self-assessment questions and charts. It is done purposely to find the one that works best for you. For example, the popular Three-Part Breath technique teaches mindfulness. The “Mind Mapping” and the “To-Do List with Emotions” are spiced with an interesting new spin. Honestly, picking a favorite is hard; but if pressed, I’d go with “The Zone of Control” and the “Worry Time” approaches. I won't give them all away, but each method is well-explained for anyone who wants to try them.

Carmichael knows her “high-functioning” clients’ needs for constant activity; the level of interaction in her book is a bonus and a positive aspect. For those in a hurry, the main points are written in bold. In addition, all nine techniques are summarized in Chapter 3. There is also a website.

The sunny yellow cover art was puzzling, considering the topic. Sometimes, yellow is used as a high-energy shade; it is also connected to happiness and joviality. Whether the choice is intentional, it appropriately and cleverly illustrates “nervous energy”.

My only woe is the font size of the printed version; the e-book would solve that easily. Nevertheless, I am satisfied with my hardcover copy. I noted a few marketing-like phrases. It didn’t make sense since the book sold itself—it was that good.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The font size hardly warrants a lesser rating. Carmichael is practical, straightforward, and sensical, and her guide is tremendously worthwhile. I eagerly consumed all her tips.

As the author mentioned, the book is not a replacement for therapy; therefore, anyone with severe anxiety should see a professional. Also, a certain amount of concentration is needed; so, I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone unwilling to give it the time. I recommend this book to anyone curious about "nervous energy". Also, I recommend it to readers who enjoy psychology and self-help books.

Nervous Energy: Harness the Power of Your Anxiety
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Snigdha Pandey
Favorite Author: David Levithan
Favorite Book: Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1)
Currently Reading: One last stop
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snigdha-pandey.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 5798

Post by Snigdha Pandey »

Thanks for the review. In today's sea of self - help books, this sounds like a good one to pick up. We live in a world where no matter how much you do, it's not enough, so I guess 'high functioning' and 'nervous energy' will be related to that. I will check out the book.
reviewinraven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewinraven.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by reviewinraven »

This book looks like it can resonate with how I am feeling. Learning how to manage nervous energy would certainly be beneficial for me. Definitely adding this to my reading list. Thank you so much for your review.
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Post by Chiwelite O »

I'd love to know the guides this book offers to people like me. Looks like it would be very helpful. Thank you for this beautiful review.
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Deprise Evans »

I need this book. I struggle with anxiety and I think that it has only been made worse in spite of this pandemic. I can definitely can resonate as the the type of person you describe in the opening of your review. That being said, I feel like this book would be very helpful. Thank you so much for your review, I enjoyed it!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I answered YES to all your questions, so this one is definitely for me :). Thank you for this informative review and the recommendation!
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

I am a person who mostly does her work last minute, so I can't say I can relate to that part. But I do keep on evaluating my choices. It seems like a very helpful book for high-functioning people to harness their nervous energy. Thanks for the awesome and review.
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

I am curious about nervous energy! Thanks for an engaging review.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Snigdha Pandey wrote: 05 Sep 2021, 07:26 Thanks for the review. In today's sea of self - help books, this sounds like a good one to pick up. We live in a world where no matter how much you do, it's not enough, so I guess 'high functioning' and 'nervous energy' will be related to that. I will check out the book.
This truly is one the best books I've this year. I hope you get a chance to read it. Thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Reader-247 wrote: 07 Sep 2021, 07:17 I am curious about nervous energy! Thanks for an engaging review.
I appreciate :D your comment and thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Ruchi Raina wrote: 07 Sep 2021, 05:26 I am a person who mostly does her work last minute, so I can't say I can relate to that part. But I do keep on evaluating my choices. It seems like a very helpful book for high-functioning people to harness their nervous energy. Thanks for the awesome and review.
:D I can't count enough the number of times I've done my work at the last minute as well. Totally understandable. Thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 06 Sep 2021, 11:11 I answered YES to all your questions, so this one is definitely for me :). Thank you for this informative review and the recommendation!
:D I'm positive you'll love this book. I hope you get the chance to pick it up! Thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Deprise Evans wrote: 05 Sep 2021, 13:17 I need this book. I struggle with anxiety and I think that it has only been made worse in spite of this pandemic. I can definitely can resonate as the the type of person you describe in the opening of your review. That being said, I feel like this book would be very helpful. Thank you so much for your review, I enjoyed it!
I hear ya! The tips and techniques are also wonderfully easy and relaxing. Hope you get a chance to try it out. Thanks for your comment.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Chiwelite O wrote: 05 Sep 2021, 12:13 I'd love to know the guides this book offers to people like me. Looks like it would be very helpful. Thank you for this beautiful review.
I liked that everything in it can be "personalized". You're welcome and thank you for your comment.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

reviewinraven wrote: 05 Sep 2021, 09:38 This book looks like it can resonate with how I am feeling. Learning how to manage nervous energy would certainly be beneficial for me. Definitely adding this to my reading list. Thank you so much for your review.
I didn't know nervous energy existed until this book. It's a great addition. Thanks for stopping by!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”