Review of Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Authentic Voice
Favorite Book: Selling with Presence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-authentic-voice.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Review of Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide

Post by Authentic Voice »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This book is truly a manual for writers. William H. Coles takes the reader from the unknown to the known of how to write a thrilling fictional story. It is a two in one volume. He set out to clarify terms that a fictional writer should keep in mind. He builds and sets the stage of how a character development and imagination, dialogue, place of conflict in literary fiction, humor, building in-scene, and even the causes of failures in literary story. The author paints a clear display of how narration affects the story line. He explains how the literary fiction writers can be in control of their writing process. He answers most of the questions that literary fiction writers tend to ask. However, his vast experience in literal fiction work is of advantage to his readers.

I like everything about this book. He uses and cites examples to explain each part of fictional writing. He even quotes from the legends and uses there work of fiction to expound and thrust each point home. Furthermore, he quotes and cites William Shakespeare, Thornton Wilder, and does a great analysis of some of the element they used in there fictional writing. With his own fictional examples, Cole makes this a simple-to-use manual.

This book is thought-provoking, capacity building and creativity shaping for writers. William's way of writing leaves a reader with a greater desire to improve and correct the mistakes in their literary fiction work. He challenges the status quo in style of writing for the fiction story. This opened my eyes to start considering writing a literary fiction story. Though he does not give a step-by-step guide, he offers a great help in content, structural and key elements of fictional writing.

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide is rich with instruction, guidelines and point of views. Some readers may find this difficult. However, the author’s general voice is not that of critic but that of a mentor, a teacher and coach. His experience in fictional writing gives him a dynamic approach to the subject. The reader with no idea of literary fiction will find much help from this manual.

This book is a masterpiece manual for all writers. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The book is well edited overall. I recommend this book to all academic teachers, writers, and students interested in writing. Authors and writers will sharpen their skills of writing through this handbook.

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
MsH2k
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: Shakespeare Undone
Bookshelf Size: 257
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: No Country No Home by Trudy Walter Carlson

Post by MsH2k »

Authentic Voice wrote: 22 Aug 2021, 05:55 This opened my eyes to start considering writing a literary fiction story.
It sounds like this book was not only informative but inspiring! :escribir: Thank you for your thorough review and recommendation.
"If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one."
Mother Teresa
Authentic Voice
Favorite Book: Selling with Presence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-authentic-voice.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by Authentic Voice »

MsH2k wrote: 04 Sep 2021, 15:35
Authentic Voice wrote: 22 Aug 2021, 05:55 This opened my eyes to start considering writing a literary fiction story.
It sounds like this book was not only informative but inspiring! :escribir: Thank you for your thorough review and recommendation.

It's inspiring.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”