Review of Anti-Black Prejudice In America

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Span of Moments by Robert Beech

Review of Anti-Black Prejudice In America

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Anti-Black Prejudice In America" by Anders Eklof.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Throughout documented history, certain acts against the black population have all stemmed from what is termed as prejudice. Anti-Black Prejudice in America traces the development of prejudice in America. It also describes the liberation of the black community and the struggles involved.

Before now, you've probably heard or read of black slavery and segregation. But do you know of their effects on the black population in periods well past the slavery era? Probably, you don't. But Anti-Black Prejudice in America will change that. It will both educate and inform you about some of the never-talked-about aspects of black history in America.

Anti-Black Prejudice in America by Anders Eklof was a book that contained detailed information about black history in America and the development of prejudice. It was detailed in the sense that the information passed in the book was thoroughly researched. The author cited information from reputable sources like Leo Africanus, the Arab writer and historian. The fact that the book was detailed added a sense of credibility to it.

Anti-Black Prejudice in America showed me so much history regarding blacks in America that I knew little to nothing about. Take, for instance, the events of black lynchings; I did not know of that. As far as I knew, blacks were discriminated against, but I never knew to what extent. Reading the book enlightened me on that fact.

One attribute of the book that appealed a lot to me was how the author passed on information. He was stating facts. However, he wasn't doing it in a boring, textbook-ish way; he engagingly told the story. It felt like I was sitting back to listen to my grandfather tell stories of the past. This made the book enjoyable and easy to read, and still, I didn't miss the book's point. The pictures included in the book also helped me to visualize the things the author narrated. The images were strategically placed, so they didn't distract my reading.

There were a couple of minor errors. Alhough I would've preferred they weren't there, I wouldn't penalize the book for them. However, if the author would consider revising the book, then the errors should be fixed.

Anti-Black Prejudice in America was a book I thoroughly enjoyed, as I had no issues with it. It was well written, detailed, and had minimal errors. Therefore, I would give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend the book to people sympathetic to the black cause in America.

Anti-Black Prejudice In America
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”