Review of A River to Goodbye

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michaeljerry309
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: Intensive Therapy by Jeffrey Deitz

Review of A River to Goodbye

Post by Michaeljerry309 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A River to Goodbye" by TK Canyon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I believe that dogs are truly man’s best friend and that God put them here to be our companions. A River to Goodbye has a modest 280 pages and 39 chapters. Within these chapters are the memories of a dog lover and his experience with his dogs. TK Canyon takes the readers on a journey from his childhood to adulthood to show us the role each of his Irish setters played in his life.

After TK Canyon’s experience with Happy Two, his first dog, he was convinced that he wanted another dog. He took the money out of his piggy bank and bought his first Irish setter, which he named Scarlet. Scarlet turned out to be a great hunting dog and was Canyon’s companion throughout middle school and at difficult times. Canyon went on to get his second dog and named it Shannon, who then gave birth to Autumn, and Autumn gave birth to Brianna. Then there was Colton, who was Canyon’s stud dog, Tessie, who was one of Brianna’s puppies, Molly, who gave birth to Reuben, and finally Kenzie. By the time Canyon got his last dog (Kenzie), he was an elderly man who appreciated all the living creations of God and the company of dogs in particular.

This book is easy to read because the author writes straightforwardly with simple words. From his tone, I could feel just how excited he was about the birth of a new dog or how worried he was when any of his pets got sick. He trained his dogs to never leave the yard, despite not having a fence, and I thought this level of experience was impressive. I also loved Canyon’s relationships with his dogs and the love, care, and attention he gave them. A good example was his decision to call the vet to check the dogs more often, especially after they had given birth; this was his new rule.

In this book, I came across some of the most vibrant characters I ever met. Donna and Ben (Canyon’s wife and son) give Canyon plenty of support and help to care for their dogs. The author also quoted verses from the Bible often and even included photos of himself, his family, and his dogs. Even though I would have liked to know more about the author's family, I still think this book is wonderful and didn’t hate anything about it.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it is well put together and easy to read. I enjoyed reading about Canyon, his family, and all their lovely dogs. I also learned a lot about dogs. I didn’t find any errors, so I think it is an exceptionally well-edited book. I recommend this book to teenagers and adults who consider themselves dog lovers, but teenagers and adults who love to read family-related drama may also enjoy this book.

A River to Goodbye
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Theana D
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theana-d.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Theana D »

Hi, thank you for the splendid review. I find it commendable when an author can make his readers feel the emotion through their words, even more so when it is a true account. I enjoyed reading your take on this. Have a lovely evening/ day.
Maliha Naveed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maliha-naveed.html
Latest Review: The New Eugenics by Conrad B. Quintyn

Post by Maliha Naveed »

Your rating compels me to have a look at this lovely book. A treat for dog lovers indeed. Nice review.
Alyn-ayz Bryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyn-ayz-bryan.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by Alyn-ayz Bryan »

A dog lover myself. I feel particularly entitled to read this book. My own experiences with my dog Amethyst are quite memorable and am really happy to find that there are other people who really value dogs. Can't wait to read this book.
Niens Now
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Survival of Species
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niens-now.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Niens Now »

I am crazy a out animals and have had several dogs myself, so I am adding this to my 'must read' list. Lovely review, thank you.
Opika234
2021 Reading Goal: 1000
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Opika234 »

well I'm not a dog lover though lol, but what I love is how an author can make the reader feel everything through his or her novel
Well lovely review thanks
Bethany Nystrand
2021 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bethany-nystrand.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Love by Sherine Anniruth

Post by Bethany Nystrand »

This book sounds like such a wholesome read! I too am a dog lover and so this really speaks to me. I love reading about others experience with their dogs and the thought of learning something new about these amazing creatures is exciting! This sounds like an amazing read!
collinsogw555
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: I Know My Way Memoir by Theresa Marafito with Linda Odubayo Thompson

Post by collinsogw555 »

Am not really a fan of dogs tho, but the book sounds interesting. Great review.
Sally_309
Currently Reading:

Post by Sally_309 »

Hmmmm, your review of the book can propel someone to get the book and read. Not a dog lover though, buh I could imagine what the full story would entail with your write up. Kudos.
Uncle Horsfall
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion

Post by Uncle Horsfall »

This book is Educative and very interesting, is a wow beside I love Dogs 🐕 as my pet, thank you for this book.
brisa madrigal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by brisa madrigal »

Im a dog lover, & honestly this book was amazing, Great review
Krishna Rajul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishna-rajul.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Krishna Rajul »

Though I'm not a dog lover in particular but this novel seems to be an interesting and lovely read. Thanks for the wonderful review.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Cross Country Journey of Maishe Rosstein by Donald Ray Schwartz

Post by markodim721 »

It's great that teenagers are learning to love dogs, and animals and nature in general.
Shaine L

Post by Shaine L »

There is something about this books that gives me light and a happy mood. Great read
Aarthi Periyasamy
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarthi-periyasamy.html
Latest Review: Affirm The Word by J. Marie Jones

Post by Aarthi Periyasamy »

Never had a dog before but looking at the review, this book may make me own one.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”