Review of Testaments From Survivors - Women Healed & Whole

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Review of Testaments From Survivors - Women Healed & Whole

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Testaments From Survivors - Women Healed & Whole" by Raven Spencer.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Healing from trauma is a journey and not a destination. Sometimes, we think we are healed from our past traumas, but some days, we lapse and treat ourselves how we promised not to. It does not matter that we lapse; it only matters that we keep trying to be the best we can be. That way, we become survivors and can share our testimonies. Testaments from Survivors: Women Healed & Whole III by Raven Spencer (Coach Tia Monique) is a compilation of stories from women who are survivors, women who strive each day to be better than they were before. This book is a compilation of testimonies of transformation, blessing, revelation, and more.

My takeaway from this book was that it does not matter what your past looks like, but it only matters that you’re willing to get better and put in the work required. Some stories I found in this book were truly inspiring. Angelina’s story was especially heart-wrenching; she refused to give in to the pain caused by sexual abuse and found peace and happiness. Some stories made me marvel. Shenita’s story of “House Hell” made me laugh and cemented my belief that God comes through when you call on Him. Some others made my jaw drop from the sheer audacity of toxic people. Raven went through hell with Lloyd, so it was liberating to see her try to move past the hurt and anger he caused her.

One thing that struck me was that all the stories are stories of black women, compiled by a black woman. I found the sisterhood presented in this book uplifting of a demographic that is mostly unprotected and disrespected. Black women will appreciate the solidarity of the stories of fellow black women who are living through and above their struggles. The author also put pictures of each woman after their stories, which allowed me to assign a face to each story, making every story more unique and personal.

However, while some stories were, indeed, inspiring, I found most of them unremarkable and rushed. After reading most of the stories, they flew right out of my mind because they did not leave much of an impression on me. I especially could not be inspired by the second story in the book. And although I was glad to see Angelina overcome her struggles and attain her goals, her story was rushed, thereby not allowing me to appreciate it properly. I also found numerous errors that should have been spotted by a professional editor, so I do not think this book received professional editing.

I did not understand why the book had “sponsored ad breaks.” I found the ad breaks unsavory and tacky; I felt they had no place in a book that is supposed to be about uplifting women through stories of other women. I feel compelled to rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I would have rated it lower, but I did feel inspired and moved by some stories here, and I love the idea of women being uplifted from seeing other women overcome their struggles. I recommend this book primarily to black women who are looking for kindred spirits and inspiration to keep moving forward despite any pain that they may be going through. Anyone who loves testimonies and is looking for inspiration may enjoy this book as well.

Testaments From Survivors - Women Healed & Whole
View: on Bookshelves
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

The ad breaks are such a turnoff, especially for a book like this. Amazing review.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

Our past does not define us, but the future does, I love this book, beautiful review.
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

I love reading compendium of testimonies. The testimonies encourages whoever finds it relatable. Thank you for the review.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

Our pasts always comes back to hunt us, but the survivors are those who keep becoming better versions, such an inspiring book, beautiful review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”