Review of Beneath the Muscle

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Priyanshi Rungta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanshi-rungta.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Review of Beneath the Muscle

Post by Priyanshi Rungta »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Beneath the Muscle" by Lauren Powers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lauren Powers' book Beneath the Muscle: Unleash Your Inner Champion pleasantly surprised me. I assumed it would be about health and inner strength based on the title, but it is a truly inspirational book based on the author's own life experiences.

Lauren is a well-known fitness model who became a bodybuilding champion at a time when most people would retire and never consider entering. Lauren's life is chronicled in this book, from childhood to the present. She grew up in the care of her mother, aunt, grandmother, and cousin after her parents divorced. All of these powerful female members had a favorable influence on her and had a significant impact on her life. She was not only athletic, but she also excelled in her classes throughout the year and into university. Her life was not easy, even though she excelled at everything. She had a period in her life when she struggled with serious addictions and felt lost. She received treatment and competent assistance, which enabled her to sober up and rediscover herself. No matter what arguments and excuses her mind provided, she never set any limitations for herself. She even considered becoming a firefighter at the age of 33, but the physical test was difficult to pass. She took the test fourteen times, although most individuals quit up after three or four tries. She was even discriminated against because of her sexual orientation and gender, but she never gave up.

Lauren shares the one-of-a-kind experience that taught her to accept life on her terms and to be confident in taking the winding path with its ups and downs. Lauren is a ten-time heavyweight bodybuilding champion, as well as an entrepreneur, author, actor, and model, as well as the creator of Power Fitness Events. She is a Women of Excellence award-winning international speaker in the fields of movies and media. Lauren is living proof that no matter your age, gender, or status, it's alright to be different, to try new things, and to transform your passion become a reality.

You'll learn how to deal with hurtful comments about being different, how to use mistakes as learning opportunities, how to overcome hurdles by taking the first step toward your dreams, how to deal with your mind by replacing fear with faith, the value of self-talk, and so much more! If you are passionate about something but are unable to achieve it due to a variety of factors, this book could be a game-changer for you.

I enjoyed the author's inspirational phrases at the beginning of each chapter, which she described by recounting her life narrative. All of her hardships as a woman were very relatable, and she spoke not only about her strong and optimistic head but also about the occasions when she was incorrect because admitting mistakes takes a lot of guts. She was confident in herself and did not allow anyone to criticize her in any way. She faced every challenge with vigor and a bright smile on her face.

There was nothing about this book that I didn't like. To make it more believable and fascinating for the readers, there are photographs of many areas of Lauren's life. I'd give it a 4 out of 4 stars rating had there been no errors and it was professionally edited.

I recommend this book to everyone who wants to push limits in their life to learn more, especially women who want to stand out from the crowd and are passionate about something in their lives but are fearful of being judged by others and society's standards. Like Lauren, this book will give people the courage to explore and pursue everything they've always desired.

Beneath the Muscle
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”