Review of Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
david isaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-isaji.html
Latest Review: Doomsday by R. L. Gemmill

Review of Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide

Post by david isaji »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The author’s enthusiasm to teach people about how they can be better writers is infectious. He walks us through the theoretic elements of writing and how to put them into practice. He offers guidelines that teach aspiring writers how to give life to characters and arrange scenes in order to build a whole world inside their stories. The author uses his years of experience to breaks down the components of writing interesting literary fiction. The information offered in this book is broad enough to also help already established authors to elevate their writing skills.

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer’s Guide is a calm, reasoned, well-sourced guidebook authored by William H. Coles. It is a short book but has concise and straightforward explanations of how to become a better fiction writer. It is divided into two books. The first book consists of twelve chapters that mainly focus on the theory side of literary fiction. The second book consists of five chapters that give guidelines on how to write better fiction. The book as a whole is well-written, thought-provoking and interestingly told.

I particularly enjoyed how the author used simple language to write this book. Readers won't waste much time trying to search for the definition of terms while reading it. It is fast-paced, and it only took me one read to finish it up. I must applaud the author for doing a phenomenal job. He managed to squeeze all the important information into 120 pages with great preciseness. Reading it felt like the author is directly speaking to me. It felt more like a conversation, and this made the reading experience very enjoyable. The summary offered at the end of every chapter facilitated a better understanding of the chapter. They summed all the important points discussed in the chapter.

The knowledge shared in this book is detailed. The author arranged his chapters perfectly in a way that he starts with the simple things and strongly shifted to the more complex ones. This helped the book grow in me as a reader. The examples given were very significant in driving the points home. For instance, there is a part in the book where he explains how excessive description makes a story static, and he gives two contrasting scenarios as vivid examples.

There is nothing I disliked about this book. It was well-edited. I give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend this book to anyone aspiring to be a fiction writer. It can also offer supplementary knowledge to already established Fiction writers.

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”