Review of Origins and Faith

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 508
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Review of Origins and Faith

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Origins and Faith" by Jack Cawthon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Many of us have had the blessing of a supportive and loving father in our lives. In the book Origins and Faith, Jack Cawthon writes about his father and his impact on Jack. Readers learn that the author lost his father when he was only twenty-six and had to learn how to live without his presence. This book is a memoir that includes impactful and heartfelt stories about the lives of the author and his father. As readers, we learn about the author’s familial heritage and structure, some of his past jobs, and his marriage, to name a few.

My favorite aspect of the book is the humor used throughout it. I was genuinely surprised that this was a big part of the book, as memoirs don’t tend to use humor. An example of this is when Jack and Bob, his youngest brother, were sitting outside eating ice cream while a tornado was ripping through their neighborhood right before their eyes. The situation itself wasn’t funny, but what happened next certainly was. These stories portray the author as a long-time friend of the reader because of how personal they are.

I also liked the pictures in the book. After telling a story about the family, the author includes a photo of them or one of their homes. This tactic assists readers with imagining the scenery and events described. This style made the book read like a scrapbook; this is unlike anything I have read before.

There was nothing I disliked about the book. Everything Jack wrote about came from his heart and brilliantly expressed his feelings about the events in his life, whether they were positive or downright depressive. There are a few things that I want readers to be aware of, as some parts of the book may bring up bad memories for them. An explanation of an act of child sexual abuse is present but ends quickly. The author briefly mentions his sex life with his wife but does not give any details about it. And lastly, there is one mention of profanity; however, it is not a deal-breaker.

I do not believe that this book is professionally edited, as I found over ten grammatical errors. This reason is why I have to deduct a star from the rating and award Origins and Faith 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to readers who enjoy memoirs with a good dose of humor. Jack is a Christian, so this title focuses on Jesus, God, and the Bible. If a reader has a severe aversion to Christianity, they may not enjoy the book. Despite this, I do not think this element should impact the enjoyability of the book.

Origins and Faith
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Post by Eddy E »

This sounds like a lovely book. It gives us this peaceful aura despite the authors loss.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

Quite a touching book. It seemed the author loved his father very much. Thanks for the great review.
DOLLY RAJPUT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by DOLLY RAJPUT »

The book "Origins and Faith" is amazing. Firstly, there are my children who never experienced father's love. They don't know how a father sacrificed his comfort just to make their child happy. Secondly, there are my children who can't able to express their love and concern towards their father. Through this book my people especially children can easily realize about their father's sacrifice and love.
We should be very thankful to our father's for what they have done and still doing for us. No one means no one on this earth can do sacrifice for anyone without any self indulgent. Sometimes we can't even imagine what they have done for us. If we can't repay them then just respect them for what they have done for our success.
Last edited by DOLLY RAJPUT on 06 Aug 2021, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.
Kaitlyn Canedy

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Eddy E wrote: 05 Aug 2021, 13:18 This sounds like a lovely book. It gives us this peaceful aura despite the authors loss.
It certainly does. Let us know if you give it a try! :tiphat:
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Kaitlyn Canedy

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Slater678 wrote: 05 Aug 2021, 20:16 Quite a touching book. It seemed the author loved his father very much. Thanks for the great review.
He most certainly did. That is why I wanted to read this book to start; it is clear that Mr. Cawthon loved him greatly. Happy reading! :)
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

Katie Canedy wrote: 07 Aug 2021, 04:23
Slater678 wrote: 05 Aug 2021, 20:16 Quite a touching book. It seemed the author loved his father very much. Thanks for the great review.
He most certainly did. That is why I wanted to read this book to start; it is clear that Mr. Cawthon loved him greatly. Happy reading! :)
You know loving our folks especially in old age is not a given these days. I admire the author for this. Thanks.
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

The losd of a parent can't be easy in whatever age. I applaud the author for sharing his life story. Thanks for the review I might check the book out.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”