Official Review: Adjective Narcissism by John Carey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shayna
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shayna.html
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman

Official Review: Adjective Narcissism by John Carey

Post by shayna »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Adjective Narcissism" by John Carey.]
Book Cover for 1871
Share This Review

It is not often that we find a novel simply filled with the intrigues of its author entertaining, let alone insightful. However, Adjective Narcissism, by John Carey, presents a complex portrayal of life through a young man's eyes that far exceeds Carey's writing credentials. Carey's first novel is short, to the point, yet leaves the reader thinking. It makes you question your own ideology, how you view yourself, and how you view the world around you.

The book follows our protagonist through a single evening in Northern England. The narrator delivers honest and complicated inner and outer dialogue, draping the novel with thematic elements regarding his own narcissism. The novel is subtitled as "A Broken Polemic", a polemic being a written attack. The narrator deeply questions himself and his surroundings, and leaves the reader wondering how to organize their own thoughts.

Where Carey excels is in his ability to deliver such a novel without overdoing anything. The book is simple, eloquent, and memorable. Carey writes in such a way so as not to make the reader feel as though they are reading an angry blog on the internet, but rather a well put together novel that emphasizes the honesty of its own writer.What is truly alluring about the novel is its lack of predictability. The narrator does not nonchalantly offer rather meaningless information or cliché questions, but truly a dialogue that makes the reader think. The novel alludes to themes of existentialism, questioning purpose without completely overwhelming the text. It is not a dissertation on philosophy, but rather simple, to the point, and interesting. It appeals to the sometimes apparent angst and confusion of youth, as well as perspectives of superiors.

In short, the book is in no way negligible. While it has its flaws, mostly grammatical, they do not overshadow the context in which they reside. I would recommend it to anyone that wants a quick read that provokes genuine thought. Though short, it is not light. The concepts and ideas will sit with the reader for a period of time to come. The novel embodies a certain spirit of the cynical youth. It must be noted that many may not find the contents agreeable, but rather should serve as an interpretation of the components of a common young man’s mind. Carey did not intend to write a book so that people would agree with it, but rather express disdain for certain topics in a way that would provoke thoughts and reactions.

I would give the book 3 out of 4 stars. It was well written, thought provoking, and a quick read. I feel as though the novel is somewhat underrated, and should receive more attention, though only recently published.

Buy "Adjective Narcissism" on Amazon
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

The title of the book drew me to your review and I am very glad I read it. I love reading author's first novels and this one sounds like it is well worth the time to check out. Thank you for your concise, well written review and the recommendation.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”