Review of warm water

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: The 2021 Chronicles by A Glenn Rose

Review of warm water

Post by Standor5865 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "warm water" by pepper cappuccio.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Warm Water, Pepper Cappuccio, a hospice nurse for over ten years, takes us through different emotional journeys while he provides care to his patients on their deathbeds. The book title is born out of the ritual the author employs in preparing the body for the funeral home, which involves cleansing with warm water. We are taken through his preparation process while he makes his way to his patient, and we are fully immersed in the emotions that surround the devastating situations we witness, from a daughter having to watch her father die of liver failure and a daughter giving over thirty years of her life caring for her mother but still losing her to dementia to a father losing his daughter to stage four lung cancer.

The book is not an entirely sad trip, though, as the author expertly captures the purpose that drives him as a hospice nurse: "to have a lasting positive impact on the lives of others as they navigate through these tough times." Usually, after the passing of a patient, Pepper Cappuccio provides a shoulder to lean on while the family members open up to him about beautiful memories of the deceased, from how they met for the first time to their moments of shared happiness. Therefore, in many ways, this book preserves the wonderful memories of his patients.

Another aspect of the book I enjoyed was the author's inclusion of the names of the songs he listened to on the way to his patients' homes. More often than not, those songs perfectly captured what those moments felt like, from Michael Jackson's You are not Alone to I’ll Walk with God from the movie The Student Prince. Remembering or listening to those songs while reading will personalize the stories and make them even more emotional for readers. The author also takes us through his main influence for becoming a hospice nurse, which revolved around his mother's battle with stage four lung cancer. I appreciate him letting us into this part of his life and understood how his experience with his mother made him grow as an empath to understand the plight of others in different ways.

Furthermore, we are also exposed to the author's experiences with learning about and handling historical, cultural, and religious differences while serving his patients. In this regard, learning about the Jewish tradition, Taharah, and what it entailed was the most fascinating. The author's patience, willingness to learn, and thoughtfulness are noteworthy and should be emulated.

At 126 pages, Warm Water is a concise read. The text is also impeccably edited, as I did not notice any errors while reading. I cannot think of anything I dislike about the book. It has taken me to a lot of places and given me a lot to think about, feel, and appreciate. Therefore, the book deserves the maximum rating of four out of four stars. If you enjoy emotional short stories, then this book will fascinate you. Readers who like memoirs will also enjoy this book.

warm water
View: on Bookshelves
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Cappuccio must have had a big heart to be able to do the work he did for a decade. It cannot be easy to watch somebody die when you know fully that there is nothing you can do to extend their lifespan. It helps that he had a positive outlook on his work and valued the service he offered because he is a rare gem. Great review
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Maliha Naveed
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Tales from the Grey Area
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maliha-naveed.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Post by Maliha Naveed »

What a dark yet amazingly unique piece of writing. The writer must have been an extremely patient and kindhearted person to be able to do all that. Lovely review.
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

So sad but amazing to learn some of the processes and rituals to bury the dead. Nice review.
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

It is definitely emotionally draining to wake up every day for a decade to deal with being a part of a world of so much pain. Gives one an insight of what other people are going through. Great review thank you.
Courtney Hughes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-hughes.html
Latest Review: Summer in the City by Kevin Phelps

Post by Courtney Hughes »

What a rainbow of emotions this book provides. Being a hospice nurse must have taught him a lot about life too. Thanks for the review! I want to add this book to my list
DTamara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtamara.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by DTamara »

Mortality is the hardest of all things to comprehend and accept I think.. And a book such as this one really makes you introspect your whole life, thanks for the recommendation and the nice review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”