Review of Strategies for Developing and Implementing Information Technology Systems for EHRs

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Review of Strategies for Developing and Implementing Information Technology Systems for EHRs

Post by Eutoc »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Strategies for Developing and Implementing Information Technology Systems for EHRs" by Dr. Priscilla Riddley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Recent technological advancements have seen a rise in its adoption in different sectors like engineering, education, agriculture and healthcare. The effective use of these tech tools largely depends on the technical know-how of the people using them. Those in the healthcare industry find it difficult to effectively use these tools due to their lack of technical know-how. In her book Strategies for Developing and Implementing Information Technology Systems for Electronic Health Records, Priscilla Riddley tries to address how to reduce this knowledge gap in the healthcare industry.

The technological tool majorly pointed out by the author is the Electronic Health Records (EHR). EHR is a tool used for storing patients’ medical information. Laboratory reports, discharge summaries and referrals of a patient can be stored using EHR. The author indicated the difficulties she has encountered while using this tool, which she believes other health workers do experience the same. The first half of the book describes the different use cases of EHR, the possible challenges encountered during use and ways to overcome these challenges. The latter half of the book introduced Lewin’s change model. This change model was used to show how EHR can be properly implemented with the full cooperation of the employees and managers.

I liked that the author developed pragmatic strategies that would help in the effective implementation of EHR. The author made the book all-inclusive by considering the implementation of EHR from formal and human-sided prospects. Priscilla pointed out the importance of ensuring adequate motivation of the workers before any organizational change. The crucial step is to make the workers see the need for the change. Then, it is imperative to hint at the benefits of the change to them.

For the downside of the book, there were a lot of careless errors. I would deduct a star rating because of this. I doubt that the book was professionally edited as opposed to the author’s claims. Another round of proofreading would help eliminate the errors. Another thing that shouldn’t go unnoticed is the inconsistency found in the in-text citations used by the author. Some of the citations were numbered while the others weren’t, though this isn’t enough to be worthy of a star deduction.

The book was an interesting read. If followed appropriately, it would make a great impact in the adoption of technological tools in healthcare. I would give Strategies for Developing and Implementing Information Technology Systems for Electronic Health Records a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. The book is best suited to people in healthcare institutions. They could adhere to the strategies highlighted here to boost the widespread use of EHR in healthcare. Healthcare professionals would also get to know ways to overcome the challenges that come with using EHR.

Strategies for Developing and Implementing Information Technology Systems for EHRs
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”