Review of The Pilgrim Bride

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-osuna.html
Latest Review: The Pilgrim Bride by Pilar Cerón Durán

Review of The Pilgrim Bride

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Pilgrim Bride" by Pilar Cerón Durán.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Pilgrim Bride, is a second marriage better than the first one? by Pilar Cerón Durán is the story of a recently divorced 50-year-old woman. The woman in question is Esmeralda, an energetic, enigmatic, and beautiful woman. Throughout the book, we get to learn about her and her adult life. We see glimpses of the abusive relationship that she had to endure before divorcing and all the challenges that came after.

After the divorce, she has to learn how to be alone again, especially since her three children decided to side and stay with their father. Because of this, she begins to embark on adventures by herself and travel to new places alone. However, she is never truly alone, as she never fails to make new friends wherever she goes. One day, an exciting opportunity arises: someone suggests that she study English in London for six months. Esmeralda, being someone never to back down from an adventure, decides to go for it. She leaves her life in Chile behind, and she arrives in London. She experiences a lot of new things and meets lots of new people who quickly become her friends. But who knows? Maybe she will also meet someone who can be a little more than a friend to her. Will she be ready for it?

Pilar Cerón Durán did a great job at making this a fast-paced, entertaining book. One of my favorite aspects of the book was precisely how easy it was to read it without feeling bored; the author never takes too long with descriptions or drags out any events. I also really enjoyed the main character. I admire her strength, and I liked how her past, more specifically her past relationship, never defined her as a person.

One thing that I did not love, however, was the timeline of the book. More specifically, the way the author wrote it. The timeline often would not mention any particular dates or periods in which some situations happened, which would make it confusing to understand the order of events. I want to clarify that even though the order of some events was not clear, the reader can still easily understand the timeline of the main ones. Every once in a while, I would also find some sentences too long, and I would find myself having to re-read them.

Considering both the positive and negative aspects of the book, I am awarding it with three out of four stars. It was a fun, easy, and entertaining story, but I felt the timeline's issue took a bit away from the overall experience.

This book is in Spanish, so I would first recommend it to people who can read in this language. It has few profanities and no erotic scenes, though it does mention physical and emotional abuse. Therefore, I would think to recommend it to readers 16 and up. If you like to relate to the main character, you may struggle a bit if you are younger, but you can still enjoy it. If you like reading about drama, personal growth, and romance, you will likely enjoy this story.

Finally, I would say this book was professionally edited. I did find some typos, but they were minor and scarce throughout the book.

The Pilgrim Bride
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Maliha Naveed
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Tales from the Grey Area
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maliha-naveed.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Maliha Naveed »

Sounds a common breakup and falling in love again type of story but still not a bad idea to go through it. Nice detailed commentary.
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Post by Eddy E »

I like the story line. Although if a 50 year old is a divorcee it's a sign that the marraige has broken down irretrievably. I'm happy she gets to take on new journeys and discover herself. I would chose it any day over and abusive relationships. Great review
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

Maliha Naveed wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 13:44 Sounds a common breakup and falling in love again type of story but still not a bad idea to go through it. Nice detailed commentary.
Thank you! I totally get what you're saying that these types of stories can be a bit repetitive.
Ashiraf Sserwadda
Currently Reading: Descendant Deception
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ashiraf Sserwadda »

I like the story , its a bit inspiring as it shows that however much the 50 year old devorced lady learnt how to be alone but she never been alone .thanks for the review
Vishnu Priya B
Currently Reading: The Unwanted Guest
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vishnu-priya-b.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Vishnu Priya B »

It's great that the book is fast-paced although the plot doesn't sound like it. I love the fact that Esmeralda came over the abusive relationship and found a way to live her life to the fullest.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

Repetitive plots and confusing timelines can make an interesting story a dull story. Thanks for the review.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. While Esmeralda's first marriage was a challenging one, it's good to see her positive attitude towards life. I hope she will find her ideal happiness.
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

Eddy E wrote: 01 Aug 2021, 06:23 I like the story line. Although if a 50 year old is a divorcee it's a sign that the marraige has broken down irretrievably. I'm happy she gets to take on new journeys and discover herself. I would chose it any day over and abusive relationships. Great review
Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I agree with you; being alone is definitely better than being in an abusive relationship.
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

Ashiraf Sserwadda wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 01:09 I like the story , its a bit inspiring as it shows that however much the 50 year old devorced lady learnt how to be alone but she never been alone .thanks for the review
Thank you for reading and commenting! I definitely found the story inspiring.
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

Vishnu Priya B wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 05:52 It's great that the book is fast-paced although the plot doesn't sound like it. I love the fact that Esmeralda came over the abusive relationship and found a way to live her life to the fullest.
The fact that she lives her life to the fullest after struggling for so long was something that I loved as well. Thank you for stopping by!
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

Kaushiki Parihar wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 21:17 Repetitive plots and confusing timelines can make an interesting story a dull story. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for reading!
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

Sou Hi wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 20:33 Thanks for your interesting review. While Esmeralda's first marriage was a challenging one, it's good to see her positive attitude towards life. I hope she will find her ideal happiness.
Her positive attitude definitely defined her as a character, and was something that I loved about her. Thank you for commenting!
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

It is a pity that I am not able to read spanish. The story and your review both are engaging and entertaining :)
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Aw. It's sad that Esmeralda did not have the support of her children during the divorce. But I'm glad that she was able to travel and have pleasant new experiences in London. Unless there is an English translation, I'll have to brush up on my Spanish language skills to read this book.
😅

Thank you for an excellent review.
:tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”