Review of Last Dance

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Grace McHardy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-mchardy.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Review of Last Dance

Post by Grace McHardy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Last Dance" by Stephen Manning.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Last Dance by Stephen Manning is a biography of the author's life, which details a charming story of love, loss, and forgiveness. The setting shifts throughout the chapters as the family often moved around due to work-related circumstances. The journey begins with a chance encounter in Chicago in the 70s and beautifully outlines the life of the author's wife, Mary Ann Manning, throughout marriage and motherhood. The story follows the author and his beloved wife Mary Ann as they go through many events that strengthen their relationship as a married couple. This heart-pulling story begins with the events leading up to the meet cue of the couple and follows their lives from marriage to starting a family. The book also paints a picture of a healthy relationship grounded in the love of God.

Upon reading this piece, a few things stood out to me. Firstly, the overall layout and theme were stunning. The diary-like way the writer utilizes to present his book was unique and inviting. Each chapter told an intricate part of the author's life which kept me interested in reading more. It is not a usual biography where events are detailed chronologically. This book feels like a personal account of the lives of the author and his family. The story had many comments about future events and the author's thoughts in certain circumstances. Doing this made the book more personal and allowed me, as the reader, to feel like I was sitting down listening to stories from my grandparents.

Secondly, there were tons of advice littered through the book showing you what to do when building a life. As a young person interested in knowing what goes on in successful marriages, the author was able to insert certain things he learned throughout his life in a way that did not take away from the story of his wife.

Thirdly, I enjoyed all of the historical information. As the story is the biography of an older gentleman, a lot of the plot focuses on past events: like how people communicated back then without cellphones or the internet and how it affected people who lived during that era. Because of this, many historical events were briefly recorded: such as the devaluation of Mexicos' peso.

Finally, the literary devices used drove the story home. There was a common Motif in the story which was Mary Ann being a loving mother. Comments from the author and his parents permeated the book about how much of a loving mother Mary Ann was, which drove the author's point home and made it real. Also, incorporating imagery such as the letters, videos, and pictures into the story made it very personal and emotional and grounded the book into reality. This book was not a fictional story made up by an author; instead, it was the life and legacy of his wife and children.

On another note, there were a few errors within the book that captured my attention. However, there were no other issues that I had with the book.

I would rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. The book itself was well-written and kept me invested throughout each chapter. As someone that is not as close to my grandparents, the author drew me in and made me feel like part of the family. Apart from a few errors within the book, there were no significant problems that I found. It was a great book that brought tears to my eyes.

I would recommend this book to individuals looking for a traditional marriage guide. People who appreciate reading about the past and how life was back then would also enjoy this piece. However, if you do not like reading books focused on the traditional marriage hierarchy, this book may not be for you.

Last Dance
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”