Review of Surviving Toxic Leadership With Gratefulness

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Review of Surviving Toxic Leadership With Gratefulness

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Surviving Toxic Leadership With Gratefulness" by Dr. Margaret E Gary.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Has your boss ever made fun of you for feeling a certain way? Was your skin color one of the factors contributing to being treated differently than your co-workers? If you reported a problem like this, did your Human Resources manager handle it or let it continue? Surviving Toxic Leadership With Gratefulness, written by Margaret E Gary, is a book written about toxic leaders from an academic perspective. The author includes stories about incidents that she had with her boss, Nick, and her Human Resources manager, Catherine. She addresses issues that toxic leadership procures, such as high employee turnover rates, workplace harassment, employee abuse lawsuits, and emotional and psychological damage the victimized employees suffer from after the incidents. And lastly, she obtains testimonies from current and former human resource managers and uses them to provide steps to handling or, if this does not work, removing toxic leaders from their positions.

The realism throughout the book is what I enjoyed the most. I could sympathize with the author regarding the encounters with her boss. There is an incident about one of her co-worker’s playful antics and Nick’s reaction to it that had me upset to the point of tears. As much as I did not want to believe that these incidents occurred, I know that what happened in this testimonial likely takes place daily in the working world.

Another part of the book that I liked is the chapter on healing. According to the author, working under a toxic leader is traumatic; this is especially true if it affects life outside of the workplace. Although Christian beliefs are mentioned many times in the book, they are most prevalent in this chapter. Of course, the author does provide other suggestions outside of this scope. However, if a reader does not believe in Christianity, they may not enjoy this book as much.

Many of the testimonials in the book seem to focus on race and politics, which I found to be stale and unhelpful. There is no denying that these factors face scrutiny in the workplace; it is assuredly a problem. Even still, I would have liked to have seen other examples, such as disabilities, gender, and religious beliefs, in this study. The inclusion of testimonials from employees who have dealt with discrimination in these ways would help the book be more encompassing.

Because the book did not include scenarios with more variety, I can only rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Even though there were grammatical errors in the book, I still believe that it is professionally edited. The suggestions in this text for remedying toxic leadership are well studied and scientific, making them difficult to discount. I recommend this book to readers who have dealt with hurtful managers or co-workers and want ways to heal from their abuse and make moves to prevent it from happening in the future. There are two instances of profanity in the book, so readers who mind profanity should be cautious of this.

Surviving Toxic Leadership With Gratefulness
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Omark
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Omark »

This is the best review that show the ability of leadership towards workers.i like the starting of the author that encourage me to see what is leadership.this sounds good reviews.
Maliha Naveed
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Tales from the Grey Area
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maliha-naveed.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Post by Maliha Naveed »

Toxicity at work deeply affects one's personal life. I would like to see if this has been mentioned in the book. Anyway good review.
Mathesh Kumaran
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mathesh Kumaran »

This book is best to encourage the fellowship and the leadership of a person and it makes us to feel our own leardship and it's great thing which the aurthor makes.
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

It’s indeed evident that toxicity at work is vastly prevalent. As I resonate with the author's experiences in the workforce, I’ll definitely give this a go. Thanks for your honest review!
Kaitlyn Canedy

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Maliha Naveed wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 05:22 Toxicity at work deeply affects one's personal life. I would like to see if this has been mentioned in the book. Anyway good review.
Yes, there are some examples in the book about things that can happen from work toxicity! As someone who dealt with a toxic manager, I can attest to the validity of the author's claims. If you decide to read this book, let us know what you think of it! :)
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Kaitlyn Canedy

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

IamJc_Bembo12 wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 21:19 It’s indeed evident that toxicity at work is vastly prevalent. As I resonate with the author's experiences in the workforce, I’ll definitely give this a go. Thanks for your honest review!
Thank you for the comment! It is a terrible thing and with the incident that happened today in America with a well-known MMO company named Blizzard, I think that this book is a very appropriate read. I hope you enjoy the book! :tiphat:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”