Review of Diary of a Wimpy Dad

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Review of Diary of a Wimpy Dad

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Diary of a Wimpy Dad" by David Diebold.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Diary of a Wimpy Dad by David Diebold is a non-fiction book that recounts the author's activities, work, and relationship with his immediate family.

This story interestingly follows David Diebold's family. Diary of a Wimpy Dad takes us to the daily humorous affairs in the author's home. This family of seven comprises his wife, four children (3 hairy teenage boys and a hormonal pre-teen girl), and their dog, Molly. It was an overwhelming experience for David when he left his job and decided to work from home. Becoming a stay-at-home dad exposed how uninterested he was in house chores. David relies on his hardworking wife, who takes the lead on domestic affairs while he tries to adjust. This family is like any other family where holidays are for vacations, sightseeing, and some exposure. And when vacation is over, everyone is trying so hard to adjust again to their routine, which is chaotic mornings where the children struggle to get out of bed and leave early for school, leaving the house all messy. Was David able to conquer these hyperactive teenage boys and the pre-teen girl while working from home? Was staying at home a blessing or terrifying?

This story clearly exposes how dads avoid being in charge of the domestic business. I'm sure that most readers can relate to this fact as well. They would always go to work, make provisions, and that would be it. I like how the author and his wife understand and complement each other. And working independently from home also helped them build a stronger relationship and bond, like having some time out and giving themselves a treat.

What I like most is the unique attribute each of the children possesses. They are so fun and lively. David refers to his children as 'three hormonal and highly territorial teens and one sociopathic eleven-year-old girl.' Funny, right? I fell in love with the girl because she is brave, creative, decisive, and the darling of the house.

I also appreciate that the author was honest about his personality. He didn't paint himself to be the dad of the year. This description about himself cracked me up, "As if I actually spend half my life shuffling around in a dressing gown avoiding all household responsibilities, and the rest of the time wearing old band tour T-shirts, driving the car badly, and harping on about old movies and 1980s music." The author's writing style is explicit, full of humor, and heart-warming. He has a powerful skill in description and narration, which makes understanding the book a smooth sail. Readers would easily picture all events and every member of his family, including the dog.

In all honesty, I enjoyed reading this book. Readers would learn that there is more to family than just snapping and uploading pictures on Facebook. It is a serious business with responsibilities that demand your time, commitment, energy, finance, love, care, and sacrifices.

In conclusion, there's absolutely nothing to dislike about this book. It is easy to comprehend, engaging and relatable. The editing crew did a good job, as I found only one typo. Therefore, I'm glad to rate Diary of a Wimpy Dad four out of four stars. I'd recommend this funny read to grown-ups who enjoy comic relief books about family.

Diary of a Wimpy Dad
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It reminds me of Jerome K. Jerome :). I love books that make you laugh, so this one goes to my next-to-read list. Thank you for your brilliant review!
Maliha Naveed
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Tales from the Grey Area
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maliha-naveed.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Post by Maliha Naveed »

Such a relatable account! I love humorous personal anecdotes. Would love to lay a hand on this one. Nice review.
Kanchan Bhil
Currently Reading: That Guy What Kill Topsy
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-bhil.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Kanchan Bhil »

Working from home full time with 4 kids all under the same roof would not be easy. Your review has given a glimpse of the struggles of working from home. This book is definitely relatable to many people now.
Shrutika Bomen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shrutika Bomen »

It's seems the book is good enough to read and laugh.The summary itself says that the book deserves quality rating. Also I liked the way the Dad refers to his children as "Three Harmonal and one Sociopathic" which describes the Author "David Diebold" is way better in showering his stories to us in a form of a book either then just keeping them just to himself.
Aarti Jha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarti-jha.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aarti Jha »

"Readers would learn that there is more to family than just snapping and uploading pictures on Facebook. It is a serious business with responsibilities that demand your time, commitment, energy, finance, love, care, and sacrifices". This is really a beautiful line. The content seems really genuine and interesting. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Theana De lima Araujo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theana-d.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Theana De lima Araujo »

Your review entices me to read this book as it seems to be a behind the scenes look into the author's life. I love reading about people and I enjoyed the description of the book that you provided, especially the snippet about him shuffling around in a dressing gown. If the book has more humour like this, it's a definite read for me. Thank you for your review, it was entertaining to read and well written.
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

This sounds like a winning book with a winning title. I couldn't imagine raising 4 kids, but it sounds like Diebold gives an honest, down-to-Earth depiction of what it was really like for him. I can relate to his distaste for household chores, so I may even need to learn something from him if he figured it all out!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I'm sure anyone who has a family can relate to this book. It might be an eye-opener for those who don't have children as well. Thanks for a great review!
azariy

Post by azariy »

Comes to my next-to-read list. Thank you very much! :P
Vanshita Singh
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Vanshita Singh »

This books gives me a feeling that I'm gonna smirk at this dad's jokes all the way till the end .
Definitely worth reading!
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your nice review. I guess David has it tough. Working at home with three teen boys and a pre-teen girl can be quite a disaster. It's good that he has his wife to rely on, and I get his feelings about the chores.
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

This book is for everyone intending to have a home or for people who has a home already. Books on family love and bond are always a pleasure to read. Amazing review.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I've heard of the wimpy kid books, but now there's a wimpy dad too! It's true that a lot of fathers shy away from household chores and prefer when their wives do it. And I like the funny quotes you included.

Thank you for a thoroughly entertaining review!
:icon-lol:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Naaya123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naaya123.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Naaya123 »

I think I'll enjoy this book. Might as well give it a try, your review definitely encourages me. Thank you for review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”