Review of Walking On Ocean Floors

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of Walking On Ocean Floors

Post by Guda Lydia »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Walking On Ocean Floors" by Mike (Spike) Mcgettigan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mike (Spike) Mcgettigan has a unique and exciting career as an ocean diver. His career hilariously began as a desperate attempt to find work and income while in Singapore. He faked his qualifications and experiences and landed a job that soon required him to take his first dive. Mike thought that all would work out, and he would learn on the job. The plan worked out indeed, but not without challenges and life-threatening experiences. Trouble started when his colleagues realized he was inexperienced and green about diving.

The isolation that followed proved to be detrimental to his high-risk career. Mike pushed on and slowly gained trust and respect within his circle. Simultaneously, his love life was also blossoming, and his friendship with Christina grew into love and longing, especially after every airport farewell. His work required him to move from coast to coast in various countries, compelling him to maintain a long-distance relationship and later marriage. However, nothing deterred Mike from partying and exploring the social life of every country he visited. He visited iconic sites, partied hard, and even unknowingly rubbed shoulders with the Russian mafia.

Walking on Ocean Floors is an interactive, memoir-like book that directly speaks to the reader in a casual and friendly tone. It feels like conversing with the author. There are many characters in the book, some significant, some short-lived, and some the author cannot recall their names. Nevertheless, each has a role within the story and builds the author’s life and experiences. The descriptions of the diving details, ocean floor, and all the machinery involved are accurate and exhaustive. Therefore, it is easy to visualize and experience what the career entails, including the tense moments that involve life and death situations.

My favorite part of the book is the wordplay that makes up the witty chapter headings. They also give hints of what to expect and maintain the fun and light nature of the read. I equally appreciate the actual photographs of the author, his family, his work, and the equipment used. These paint a vivid picture of what the book describes and gives faces to the names. What I dislike is the overuse of certain profane words. It seemed unnecessary and sometimes a distraction. Nonetheless, this is a subjective opinion, so it will not affect the overall rating.

Walking on Ocean Floors does not have any grammatical or spelling errors, evidence of its exceptional and excellent editing. The language used is intelligible but contains instances of strong profane words and phrases. However, it lacks erotic scenes or any religious angle. Walking on Ocean Floors exhaustively educates the reader about ocean floor diving as a career. Additionally, it entertains through Mike’s funny and mischievous escapades and his romance story and family life. The author also includes specific dates for significant events like November 4th, 1987, when his first child, Ryan, was born. I wholeheartedly give the read a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers looking for a hearty and fun story about a captivating career, fun social life, and intimate love life.

Walking On Ocean Floors
View: on Bookshelves
Omark
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Omark »

This is interesting review.i like the starting part of the author in this review.diving is my career .I have learned something.if I wanted to be diver then I have to be brave .I like this review and i have to add this book to my list thank you.
Miriam nkere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-nkere.html
Latest Review: Rosa, a Survivor from Terrorism by Dan Verin

Post by Miriam nkere »

Wow!!!! Nice review, it's really captivating, entertaining and educating as it describes the challenges, experiences Mike has to pass through as an inexperienced diver. Good review.
Maliha Naveed
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Tales from the Grey Area
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maliha-naveed.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Maliha Naveed »

At last a unique plot! Loved the review. Will definitely read the book.
Zubairu Suleiman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Zubairu Suleiman »

Highly interesting book, to archived agoal you need to take risk and be brave
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

A motivation book worth reading. I’ll definitely try this one. Thanks to your honest and explocit review!
Theana De lima Araujo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theana-d.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Theana De lima Araujo »

Thank you for the review. I like the humour aspect in the book and I always admire authors that can weave wit into a story. The idea of the diving job is alien to me. Your review was entertaining and it seems to really give me a good idea of what I can expect. This piques my interest. I'm adding it to my shelves.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”