Review of Fouling in Business and College Athletics

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Review of Fouling in Business and College Athletics

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fouling in Business and College Athletics" by Gonzalo Fernandez.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gonzalo Fernandez has had the opportunity to observe the running of businesses from the inside. Having worked as a financial and accounting executive between the 60s and 80s, the author is aware of the financial manipulations in firms that often leave stockholders and employees losing big.

While working for International Telephone and Telegraph (ITT), the author was once asked to manipulate the value of an inventory supplied to the company. I am guessing that you already know he declined to do so. The author also became a fan of college sports during his career and was sad to find that the same unethical practices in business were rearing their ugly heads in college sports. Hence, in Fouling in Business and College Athletics, Gonzalo Fernandez provides detailed insights into these malpractices, the efforts to curb them, and the way forward.

Without any delay or ado, I'll go straight to tell you what I like most about this book. It is its relevance! I am happy that this author has used this book to bring two major issues to light. If you follow college sports, you would know that while the governing organizations, coaches, and media reap bountifully from it, the athletes who put in the sweat and blood get almost nothing from the proceeds. Yes, they get scholarships, but we know that the cost of those scholarships can't compare to the mammoth revenues accrued from college sports. So I must commend the author for highlighting this ugly trend and bringing readers up to speed with the recent happenings in the sector. And in business, auditing malpractices often deny stockholders of relevant information about the rot or decline in profits of organizations. I thank the author for sharing the causes of such malpractices and the role government is playing to avoid such.

I must say that this publication is a product of research, experience, and, most importantly, a passion for equity and integrity. The author's move to speak for college athletes is praiseworthy. But I especially liked how he backed up his discussions and recommendations with materials that readers can easily access. More so, readers will find his explanations easy to understand, which is a testament to how well the author organized his thoughts. The author divided the book into two parts: fouling in business and fouling in college athletics. I enjoyed this division because it helped me to appreciate the correlations between the challenges plaguing both sectors.

Nevertheless, my reading experience wasn't as smooth as I would have wanted it to be. Firstly, there were many editing errors in the book, some of which were distracting. Secondly, I didn't enjoy the repetitions in the publication. For example, a paragraph was repeated word for word on another page. Sadly, the repetition issue detracted from my reading experience and was also what I disliked most about the book.

In conclusion, I rate Fouling in Business and College Athletics three out of four stars. The repetition and editing mishaps are responsible for the lost star. The book definitely deserves more than two stars, considering all the points in its favor. So I highly recommend the book to accountants, business owners, lawmakers, college sports governing organizations, and college athletes. Also, readers interested in gaining well-informed insights into the financial malpractices in business and the pitiful distribution of revenue in college sports will find this book very informative.

Fouling in Business and College Athletics
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Hopefully, with a bit of work, the errors will be reduced. As for the content of the book, it sounds like it has a lot of information. I am not the intended audience but I think others would very much like it. Great review!
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

As I major in finance, this book definitely sounds like a good read. Additionally, I'm curious about the unethical practices going on in college sports, as we don't have that culture in my country. Amazing review as always!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

The review has elaborated the fouling done so far in business of sports. This must be a good read.
Bernabe Mulimba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bernabe-mulimba.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Bernabe Mulimba »

When one reads Gonzalo Fernández's fouling in business and college athletics, it is interesting to see how he started the book with a preface that begins with a poem entitled Writing a Book, comparing writing a book with sweeping leaves in autumn. Thus starting to write its 97 pages full of content related to finance and management. :roll2:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”