Review of Emotional Intelligence At Work

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Review of Emotional Intelligence At Work

Post by Eutoc »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Emotional Intelligence At Work" by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Contrary to popular opinion, our emotions play a significant role in our career as much as the most prominent of all success metrics, intelligence quotient. In Emotional Intelligence At Work, Richard M. Contino and Penelope J. Holt guide their readers on how to identify their emotional needs at their workplaces. Being aware of the roles our emotions, including that of our co-workers, play in our work-life balance is crucial. One is an action away from steering his career to where he would like it to be.

The first few chapters were dedicated to showing the readers the different scenarios where our emotional needs tend to bias business decisions. Fictitious stories and narrations from personal experiences were presented to show practical ways a high business emotional intelligence can be helpful. Identifying our emotional needs isn’t something that could be easily uncovered, which is why the authors suggested using emotional clues. These clues could help knowledge workers have a better understanding of themselves. They can also be used to figure out the different personalities exhibited by their co-workers. The aim of the book is geared towards helping the reader attain a state of high emotional intelligence in their business life.

I enjoyed every bit of this book. It made me see business growth and development from a different vantage point. As a strong proponent of IQ over EQ, I must confess that the authors elaborately proved that a high IQ needs to work in tandem with a high EQ for the best career or business growth. The part that was beneficial to me the most has to be where strategies for striking the best business negotiations were highlighted.

All good books do have their flaws. I think the only thing I do not like about the book is its lack of scientific justifications for its claims. Although a handful of readers might not see this as a big deal, it’s something I love seeing in such kinds of books. Since various researches have been conducted in this field, the authors could do worse than making references to these works. I would also point out the few errors that I found in the book. Another round of proofreading would be needed.

I learnt a lot from reading this book. There isn’t anything I think would warrant denying this book the perfect rating that it deserves. Hence, I would give Emotional Intelligence At Work a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend the book to knowledge workers. Having a high business EQ would give one the intellectual capacity to excel in their business ventures.

Emotional Intelligence At Work
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. Along with our working abilities, emotions play a great part in our relationships with our co-workers, bosses, and clients. I guess the book will be useful material to improve our EQ.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Emotional intelligence is a skill we should all posses, and the job challenges put it at best use. Even now, when people are working remotely :). Thank you for this thorough review!
Aarti Jha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarti-jha.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aarti Jha »

As a believer in the importance of EQ, i think i am really going to enjoy reading this book someday. Great review!
NISSE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisse.html
Latest Review: Insights for Coaching Leaders beyond 2021 by Jill Flynn

Post by NISSE »

In earlier times, IQ considered to be the most important aspect in the work place.However, in modern times, the most important aspect is the emotional intelligence.Great review!
Zaeda Amrin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaeda-amrin.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Zaeda Amrin »

I, too, believed having high emotional intelligence is key to success in the business world and have always sought to hone this skill. The writing and stories sound like a creative way to teach the readers as well. Thank you for the excellent review!
Jacques Mwashuma
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacques-mwashuma.html
Latest Review: Doyle's Law by Sam Roberts

Post by Jacques Mwashuma »

The review informs that there are various strategies to help balance EQ and IQ in order to ensure proper career growth, though it goes on to mention that only references are used instead of scientific justifications. Still shows that EQ growth is very important.
If the heart is clear, it doesn't matter if there's a storm brewing in the sky.

- Bing Xin.
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Deprise Evans »

This book sounds like such an important educational tool, especially for those within the workforce. I will have to give this book a read! Thanks for your great review!
Cebo Mollifii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Cebo Mollifii »

Excellent review, It sounds like a lesson of balance and I think everyone must learn from it, definitely deserve a read
Ntombifuthi Londi
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntombifuthi-londi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ntombifuthi Londi »

Great review. I love how this reviews talks about EQ and IQ at a work place. Interesting book, must read indeed. Thank you
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

In my degree course I got few subjects that talked about emotional intelligence, business ethics and business communications. I personally loved all this subjects and scored highest grade that time. Your review is making me to pick up this book and expand my knowledge more. Thank you for the amazing review.
Zandile Zwane
Currently Reading: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Zandile Zwane »

Great review! Sounds really a must read, frankly speaking ,any writing or plan shedding insight on the power of harnessing EQ in addition to IQ in the workplace(most challenging environmment) is a vital tool
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading: Not Fishy Enough
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I agree that the authors could have referenced scientific studies to offer some form of evidence for their claims. I also believe you are correct in stating that both EQ and IQ are valuable in the workplace (and life in general).

Thank you for an excellent review.
:tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Jose Josphat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jose-josphat.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Jose Josphat »

I have read several articles with divergent views on where to place EQ and/or IQ as determinants of business career success. Emotional Intelligence At Work, from the excellently done review, seems to give a balance on the two concepts. Being a person hoping to run successful business ventures, this would be a great read for me.
valiantecho
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valiantecho.html
Latest Review: Conversing with Various Entities by Mary Ellen Wall

Post by valiantecho »

This is something I would recommend to my father.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”