Review of Fouling in Business and College Athletics

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jona00baka
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jona00baka.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Review of Fouling in Business and College Athletics

Post by Jona00baka »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Fouling in Business and College Athletics" by Gonzalo Fernandez.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fouling in Business and College Athletics is a non-fiction book by Gonzalo Fernández. As an employee at International Telephone and Telegraph (ITT) Corporation, he observed many fraudulent accounting scandals from different companies. Enron and WorldCom records the biggest fraud-scandals in the world. The scandals trigger diverse penalties like loss of jobs and incarceration of some employees.

Soon after his transfer to Raleigh, he starts following college basketball and football news. As a fan of college sports, he realizes that there are many violations of rules in sports and unethical behaviors. There are more funds located to sports. However, the question is who benefits from such funds? There are standards, rules and regulations in sports to ensure smooth play. Are these rules being followed? The Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002, The Dodd-Frank Act, The National Collegiate Athletics Accountability Act and Student-Athlete Equity Act comes in as interventions to bring transparency and accountability in both business and college sports. Read this important book and equip yourself with important knowledge.

The story is well explanatory and it gives full details of every action. This helps the reader to visualize the events that are being explained in the book. This element kept me reading the book, as it unfolds interesting events that I pictured as I read. The writer has used anecdotes in the story, which draws the attention of the reader. From the words of Gonzalo, it shows that the story is evidence based. Without withholding my word, the writer has done great job in telling this story through writing.

I like many things in this book. It is well divided into two parts with small sections in each part. Each section has its own title, which make it easy to follow through and connect the whole story. Some statements that Gonzalo wrote are revelations to certain areas. Think of his observation on sports resource allocation and beneficiaries, it enlightens us on who should be considered as the beneficiary.

I liked the book entirely; therefore, I did not find something unpleasing to me. I also like the footnotes that are clarifying some information and directing the reader to the site where there is more information about a particular topic.

I found some errors in the book that barely disturbed my reading. However, the book is well edited. For this reason, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to accountants, financial managers, sports managers and sports fans. They may enjoy this book a lot.

Fouling in Business and College Athletics
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”