Review of My Enemy in Vietnam

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: My "Enemy" in Vietnam by Billy Springer

Review of My Enemy in Vietnam

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My "Enemy" in Vietnam" by Billy Springer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My “Enemy” in Vietnam, by Billy Springer, is an account of the time the author spent in the U.S. military during the Vietnam War. While tales of this war by black soldiers are not unknown, they are certainly less common than books written by white veterans.

Springer’s story is just fifty-six pages long and is broken up into thirteen chapters. It also contains some fourteen illustrations. Each of the chapters covers a different aspect of the author’s experience in Vietnam. The first four cover what it was like to be a black serviceman in the field at a time when Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was leading marches for civil rights back in the United States. Reading these makes it clear why the book’s title has “enemy” in quotation marks. The issue of race is not confined to these early chapters. While they focus on what the experience was like for black soldiers, and for this black G.I. in particular, other chapters (for example, ‘The Mountain Yard’, ‘Marsaleen’, and ‘Bar Bombings’) deal with how black soldiers were received and perceived by the Vietnamese people. The chapters don’t seem to run in any chronological order, nor do they fit together to form an overall narrative; they are standalone pieces that, taken together, provide a cohesive and convincing account of the writer’s time in Vietnam.

This short book held my attention from start to finish. I liked the fact that the writer’s story provides a different perspective on the Vietnam War than those I have previously read. While other books tend to focus on the brutality of the experience for both soldiers and civilians, this one doesn’t get mired in the mud and blood of the conflict. That aspect isn’t completely ignored, but Springer chooses, instead, to present an account that is more social history than a record of the body counts. While I was aware that race discrimination was an issue amongst American troops then, this account by a black writer shines a spotlight on just how serious the problem was.

I also enjoyed the author’s recollection of how the Vietnamese reacted to black Americans and how this differed from their view of white people. Unlike most Vietnam War stories, the Vietnamese in this story are portrayed as real, rounded individuals. The fact that the author took the trouble to learn the Vietnamese language undoubtedly helped him get closer to the locals than most serving soldiers.

The book is not perfect. I don’t think it has been viewed by a professional editor; it contains some minor errors that would surely have been picked up had that been the case. There are also a couple of examples where the same sentences reappear in different chapters; again, a competent editor would have spotted these. However, it is a tribute to the strength of the writing that these flaws did not spoil my enjoyment of the book.

I am happy to award My “Enemy” in Vietnam three out of four stars. I am deducting one star for the errors mentioned in the previous paragraph. I recommend the book to readers who enjoy war stories or historical non-fiction. There are a few instances of strong language in the book, but I still think it’s suitable for those who have reached their mid-to-late teens and above.

My "Enemy" in Vietnam
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Lasty Kondijo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Lasty Kondijo »

wow this must be a very great book to read, i like this interesting review you have done. Must read for me
GideonWrites Review
2021 Reading Goal: 24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by GideonWrites Review »

This promised to give a relaxing experience of reading. I appreciate the exceptionality of this book as different from other ones written on the same theme.
Signature of Grace.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Mtibza eM
2021 Reading Goal: 66
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Drawn Into The Dream
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Claiming Haley by Sophia Sinclair

Post by Mtibza eM »

This book seems to be different. And the fact that it is this short but tackling such complex topic is something else.
Kajol Dadhania
Favorite Book: The Secret History
Currently Reading: Middlegame
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajol-dadhania.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kajol Dadhania »

I had been waiting for a review on this book for a long time. Was not sure if I wanted to read it but after reading the review, I think I will probably like it so I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the review.
Imagine if we had no secrets, no respite from the truth. What if everything was laid bare the moment, we introduced ourselves?
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Rishi_reviews »

I'm super intrigued to read this book. I'm always fascinated by books which talk about racial discrimination and stuff so it'll be a really enjoyable read for me. Thanks for the review.
mka
2021 Reading Goal: 6
Currently Reading: The Reunion
Bookshelf Size: 644
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by mka »

Will go back and put this on my TBR shelf. Sounds like a varied view of the life of a Vietnam soldier.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”