Review of Cracker Jacked

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: Fallen Hero by G. L. Vernon

Review of Cracker Jacked

Post by Standor5865 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cracker Jacked" by Lawrence Sterling III.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What is the solution to the problem that is racism? The answer to this is one that seems to have eluded the world today. From individual racism that was popular in the past, we have started to see that structural and systemic forms of racism have been deeply rooted in society.

Cracker Jacked by Lawrence Sterling III presents the author's rough experiences with institutional racism at the hands of his superiors and even the police. He starts his story from his time serving in the U.S. Navy. As the time for his honorable discharge approached, he found himself suddenly under investigation in a forty-five thousand dollar fraud case. This led to a sequence of events that saw his time extended and forced him to go AWOL, and eventually, he was faced with six charges from the United States. After facing the consequences of those charges and returning home, he would endure police brutality that would see him embroiled in another court case, but this time, it would be against the state of California.

The author has penned an emotional and objective piece here that drew me in from the very first page. Not only does he document the negative effects these ordeals had on him in this story, especially with the PTSD he suffered while being held in a ship's prison, but he also shows similarities between his cases and other high-profile cases, like the unjust shooting of Oscar Grant. Lawrence Sterling III has a unique way of putting readers in the center of events, as he never failed to present each party's side of the story by including their published statements, police reports, other relevant documents, and even pictures. This made for an intense read, as I got a perfect picture of a lot that is wrong with the police and the justice system and saw how this affected someone I could easily connect with. This ability to create a connection to the readers' emotions is my favorite aspect of the book.

The author's exercises in picking apart the opposition's accusations was also another intriguing part of the book for me. It was especially fascinating because he usually presented the opposition's statements or reports first, and the tone and presentation of these reports convinced me that he was guilty. Nonetheless, he would process to show that a lot of things were fabricated convincingly. Would the judges refrain from racial profiling and see things from his point of view?

While I found the author's account engaging, it was very difficult to read through all the errors I found in the book. I think that the book will largely benefit from a professional editor's touch. Also, some of the references included were not properly formatted. Some of them even had numbers continuously written in between words, and I found this confusing. Furthermore, I found the author's frequent changes in the writing style, from plain English to Ebonics, distracting. All things considered, I rate Cracker Jacked two out of four stars for its relevance and overall presentation of facts. The issues with the book's editing, formatting, and writing style took away from its quality. Mature readers who enjoy documentaries will enjoy this book.

Cracker Jacked
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nichole Tiffany
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: The Infinite Way
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nichole-tiffany.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Nichole Tiffany »

I think this will be interesting book to read. The errors and formatting may be difficult but I think the topic/story is worth a try. Bringing institutional and systematic racism to the forefront can only help in ending racism. I rather like when authors change writing styles within a book. Thanks for the review.
Nqobile771
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 202
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: Fast-Starting A Career of Consequence by Fred Sievert

Post by Nqobile771 »

Sadly, the author's experiences with racism are not uncommon. People of colour are exposed to racism daily and it seems to never end. Racism is indeed structural and it is embedded in a majority systems. What will it take to rid the world of the racism of pandemic? Thanks for a candid review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
NISSE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisse.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by NISSE »

The author has discussed an important and critical issue existing in the societies today. The points discussed are more authentic as the author himself is a victim of the racism in the work place.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”