Review of Flight

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Review of Flight

Post by NetMassimo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Flight" by Francis M. Burrows.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Flight by Francis M. Burrows is a book that explains the science behind flight and some technology behind human flight. There are several aspects of the science behind flight that need to be kept in mind to understand how some animals, seeds, fruits, spores, and pollen can fly. Some additional aspects concerning technology must be kept in mind to understand how the various types of flying machines can be built. The author describes all those aspects limiting as much as possible the use of formulae, as this is not a college textbook. However, the topics are explained in-depth with the help of a lot of illustrations.

Flight always fascinated humans but only in recent centuries, the development of science enabled to explain it. The attempts to build some kind of flying machine that could carry humans became more sophisticated thanks to a lot of technological developments.

I already had some basic knowledge of some of the physics subjects that explain buoyancy and some of the technologies behind flying machines. However, reading this book, I realized that my knowledge was at a really elementary level. I also learned how some subjects of science and technology are important not only to build flying machines. That's because some scientific and technological subjects are useful in building ships and submarines, from some problems of fluid dynamics to the use of propellers.

I appreciated the thoroughness of this book. Even including only a few formulae, the author explained several scientific principles connected to flight and a brief history of human flight. The chapters about bird flight explained the different geometries that evolved in various species.

The only criticism I have about this book is that, especially in the initial chapters, there are several run-on sentences that sometimes make it more difficult to understand them. The book includes some complex scientific principles and theorems, so on some occasions, the author could do only so much to keep phrases short. However, in my opinion, some of his comments could be expressed better in shorter phrases. A bit more editing might improve those phrases and also correct some errors.

In my opinion, Flight is an excellent book for people who want to really understand flight. It's far from easy, as the author goes quite in-depth with the various subjects. For this reason, some scientific knowledge is recommended to be able to understand those subjects, which means this book is not for young readers despite the absence of sex references and profanity. Teenagers with a passion for science might try it, especially if they're thinking of studying aeronautics in college. The book contains more than 10 errors, so I have to rate it 3 out of 4 stars even if it offers a thorough explanation of what makes flight possible.

Flight
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ciao :)
Massimo
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Your review is very intriguing, and I would love to discover more about the fascinating concept of flying! Thank you for your recommendation and great job!
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 04:33 Your review is very intriguing, and I would love to discover more about the fascinating concept of flying! Thank you for your recommendation and great job!
This book can certainly allow you to discover a lot! Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

This book seems to be aimed at those who are interested in the physics behind flight. Great review.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

shravsi wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 10:06 This book seems to be aimed at those who are interested in the physics behind flight. Great review.
The parts about physics are certainly dominant. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think it's great that the author is dedicated to the topic of the phenomenon of flying and that the book is understandable to the average reader.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

Great Review! It seems like a very interesting book, however it's a pity there are such a copious amount of errors.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

markodim721 wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 12:16 I think it's great that the author is dedicated to the topic of the phenomenon of flying and that the book is understandable to the average reader.
It's an interesting book, though I have to say that the average reader needs to be committed to read it and understand it. Thank you for commenting!
Massimo
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Wesusa wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 12:54 Great Review! It seems like a very interesting book, however it's a pity there are such a copious amount of errors.
Luckily, the errors were not distracting. Still, I hope the author does a bit more editing. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
Unsullied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsullied.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Unsullied »

The topic of flight is such a fascinating one. The book seems quite interesting as per your review.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Unsullied wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 05:30 The topic of flight is such a fascinating one. The book seems quite interesting as per your review.
The book is indeed interesting for anyone willing to go in-depth concerning flight. Thank you for commenting!
Massimo
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

You paint a good picture of this technical book. I love that it is "not a college textbook." We have come so far in aviation, and I think the Wright brothers would be so proud.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Kansas City Teacher wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 21:04 You paint a good picture of this technical book. I love that it is "not a college textbook." We have come so far in aviation, and I think the Wright brothers would be so proud.
In the bits of history of aviation the author tells in his book, you can indeed see the amazing progress made in a century! Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. It's quite nice to learn about flighting and airplanes. I wonder if this book will cover the history of flying machines like the Wrights' or our modern flying boards.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Sou Hi wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 01:41 Thanks for your interesting review. It's quite nice to learn about flighting and airplanes. I wonder if this book will cover the history of flying machines like the Wrights' or our modern flying boards.
There is some information about the history of flying machines, from airships to the advancements in aircraft technologies but they're only a small part of the book, connected to the physics of flying, such as wing geometry. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”