Review of God is Great Bible rebuttal to Christopher Hitchens

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Review of God is Great Bible rebuttal to Christopher Hitchens

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "God is Great Bible rebuttal to Christopher Hitchens" by Peter James.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you are familiar with Christopher Hitchens' arguments about God and religion, you would know that he floored almost all the religious leaders that had a debate with him. And in his book, Christopher also delivers a thought-provoking critique of religious faith and argues that the concept of an omniscient God has done more harm to humans than good. He also demonstrates that religion is man-made and adds that it has poisoned everything in the world.

In this book titled God Is Great: Bible Rebuttal to Christopher Hitchens, the author, Peter James, informs readers that the religious leaders Christopher debated with didn't use God's answers from the Bible or the Bible's history in the debates. Christopher argued that God must be cruel if he really destroyed the Amalekites, asked Abraham to sacrifice his only son, allows suffering and death, etc. Hence, Peter James provides readers with relevant Bible verses, history, and explanations that refute Christopher's claims.

I wish Christopher Hitchens were still alive, honestly. Perhaps he would have challenged the author to one of those BBC debates. From what I read in this book, I am sure this author would hold his own. I like how well organized the author's thoughts are. I enjoyed how he used the most controversial points Christopher raised as subtopics to explain his stance. As a result, I found his explanations easy to comprehend. What I like most about this book is the author's use of Bible quotes to corroborate whatever he says or discusses. If you remember, Christopher once challenged his antagonists to use the Bible to debate him. And that's why I am even more disappointed that he is not here with us today. This book is a product of thorough research, as readers would find many materials and Bible verses that support and make the author's points convincing.

Furthermore, the author's explanations are both thought-provoking and eye-opening. This book will debunk most of the things you hold as the truth about the Bible and Christianity. For example, do you know that some of the things we find in the Bible today are not in the earliest manuscripts? This book would also encourage readers to evaluate the teachings they get from their religious leaders. More so, the author encourages readers to send any questions they have about the Bible through the mailbox address he provides in the book.

Another thing I appreciate about this book is that the book is concise. The author is direct, and his explanations are straight to the point. He also uses simple analogies to drive his points home, and I never found any of his discussions confusing or complex to understand.

In conclusion, this 104-page book is an insightful and well-written piece. And it would have received a perfect rating if not for the editing mishaps that nearly ruined my reading experience. I found more than ten errors in the book, and that's the only negative aspect I have to report about it. So until the author rectifies that, I can only rate the book three out of four stars. I highly recommend God Is Great: Bible Rebuttal to Christopher Hitchens to open-minded readers who seek the truth about God and religion, especially Christians who followed Christopher Hitchens' arguments and debates in favor of agnosticism.

God is Great Bible rebuttal to Christopher Hitchens
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

Far too often books like this one become so detailed and confusing that the reader gets lost in the message. Happy to hear this one was direct and to the point!
Aldophe Celicourt
Currently Reading: Chameleons
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Aldophe Celicourt »

"God Is Great: Bible Rebuttal"great title,so i wish to find the answers of many questions that i always ask by reading this book.
The reviewer said that:"The author is direct, and his explanations are straight to the point".it is the kind of book i like.
Like the reviewer"i highly recommend God Is Great: Bible Rebuttal to Christopher Hitchens to open-minded readers who seek the truth about God and religion, especially Christians who followed Christopher Hitchens' arguments and debates in favor of agnosticism".

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”