Review of The Caretaker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DTamara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtamara.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Review of The Caretaker

Post by DTamara »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Caretaker" by Roberta Dupont.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In 2015, 34.2 million Americans cared for at least one adult, aged 50 or older, outside their profession. In Canada, 7.8 million people, or 25% of the population, were caretakers in 2018. Many of us are aware that it is very likely at some point in our lives, we will have the choice of either providing care for a loved person or placing them in a long-term care facility. Roberta Dupont faced that choice herself and chose to care for her husband for almost a decade. Then she had to place him in a home due to the gravity of his situation.

Throughout this harrowing experience, she learned how to cope with the pressure by carving time of the day for herself to focus on her writing, poetry, and art. Moreover, she emphasizes - to maintain an equilibrium and take better care of others, it is imperative to take care of yourself first.

The Caretaker comprises two parts. The first part contains an introduction with the history of long-term care facilities or lack thereof. After reading the concise summary, I had to do some research on the subject on my own, and I was shocked to discover that what Roberta Dupont writes about is not only the case for Canada. She also draws from her extensive experience with caretaking facilities and that of those around her. On top of that, the author writes about activism, her coping strategies, and her approach to life.

The second part that makes up most of the book exhibits her artwork, poetry, and short stories. I was pleasantly surprised to discover this section. The idea is to inspire other caretakers to find a way to become mindful, enjoy the present moment and avoid common pitfalls such as the onset of anxiety, stress, depression, and a wide variety of other mental and physical diseases. The core of this book is getting across the message that caretakers shouldn't feel guilty about taking time for themselves. On the contrary, it is the only way to make sure you maintain your well-being and thereby remain in a better shape to help others.

Every poem or short story is accompanied by a carefully crafted, themed, meaningful colored design. This unique approach makes this book stand out. I enjoyed reading each poem or story and then contemplating the art piece looking for the connections. The poetry was concise, deep, and full of symbolism and metaphors. What I found extraordinary is that her poetry transcends age. I enjoyed it immensely, and at the same time, I am sure that even young children would be able to understand and appreciate most of the included poems. Therefore, it was not surprising to find out that she was an educator for 36 years.

The aesthetics in The Caretaker were outstanding. Overall, it was a unique experience. The subject is of personal relevance, and it hit me deeply. If I had to describe the overall impression in one word, it would be heartwarming. Despite dealing with such a dark topic, the work brims with positivity and hope. Roberta Dupont's voice is one of empathy and compassion. I learned something new about caretaking, and I agree with the author it is outrageous that the call for change is not louder. We need to improve many things to make the system beneficial and adequate for everyone, the caretakers and those in need.

I rate The Caretaker 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book first and foremost to those interested in the topic of caretaking, educators looking for inspiration, those who like philosophy books, and finally, anyone who enjoys high-quality aesthetics, art, and poetry.

The Caretaker
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Maliha Naveed
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Tales from the Grey Area
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maliha-naveed.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Post by Maliha Naveed »

A very unique combination of caretaking and artistic capabilities indeed. You have presented such a detailed commentary on the book that everything becomes crystal clear. Kudos for such a splendid review!
Ashiraf Sserwadda
Currently Reading: Descendant Deception
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ashiraf Sserwadda »

Taking care of others it very very important . may interest came in to the second part of the book as the idea is to inspire other care takers to find the way of becoming mindful, enjoy the present moment and avoid common pitfalls.thanks for the review
DTamara
Currently Reading:

Post by DTamara »

Thank you both! I hope you enjoy it, original, and highly recommended.
Neelakshi jain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neelakshi-jain.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Neelakshi jain »

In India, it is common to take care of your loved one in a difficult time. It is a very difficult task and with so many artistic capabilities. Thank you for this impressive review.
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Post by Eddy E »

This is beautiful. I haven't come across books that center on this but I believe it is equally important to educate the general public of this.
Good job
Ardhi Rahma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ardhi-rahma.html
Latest Review: Leaving Dahomey by Jude Shaw

Post by Ardhi Rahma »

From this review alone is enough to make me interested. This is a good review, I'll add the book into my reading list.
DTamara
Currently Reading:

Post by DTamara »

Neelakshi jain wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 09:18 In India, it is common to take care of your loved one in a difficult time. It is a very difficult task and with so many artistic capabilities. Thank you for this impressive review.
Thanks a lot. So it is in my country as well, North Macedonia, and the care facilities are very bad.. I was surprised to learn that is the case in North America.
DTamara
Currently Reading:

Post by DTamara »

Eddy E wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 16:26 This is beautiful. I haven't come across books that center on this but I believe it is equally important to educate the general public of this.
Good job
Thanks, indeed it is rare and it is a very unique book. After learning how bad it actually is in fact worldwide, I feel strongly about the subject. We should all raise awareness about it and demand change.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

It's not easy to take care of someone who has health problems and might have disabilities. It's heartwarming to see that this book includes poems that can inspire other caretakers. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

I lost my mother 6 days before and she was in bed since past 5 years. I was with her whole time for 5 years. I don't know if I'll be able to pick up this book because of personal experiences as this book will be emotional rollercoaster ride. But thank you for the detailed well-written review.
DTamara
Currently Reading:

Post by DTamara »

Urvashi Tripathi wrote: 07 Aug 2021, 02:45 I lost my mother 6 days before and she was in bed since past 5 years. I was with her whole time for 5 years. I don't know if I'll be able to pick up this book because of personal experiences as this book will be emotional rollercoaster ride. But thank you for the detailed well-written review.
I am so sad to hear that... It is the most crushing thing to witness, and we all should remind ourselves that every moment we spend with our loved ones is precious, no matter how ordinary it seems at the moment.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I love it when a book is separated into parts. I am not too familiar with caretakers but I have heard both sad and happy stories from my aunt who used to be one. Great review!
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
DTamara
Currently Reading:

Post by DTamara »

RayRuff wrote: 10 Aug 2021, 14:18 I love it when a book is separated into parts. I am not too familiar with caretakers but I have heard both sad and happy stories from my aunt who used to be one. Great review!
Thanks! Yes, the book is especially well structured, and your observation is on point with what is portrayed in the book. The author explains that even though she starts with all the bad things that need to be fixed, there are also many positive stories.
derrick kinyalili
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by derrick kinyalili »

This book entail what would make one self human. It is nothing less than inspiring

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”