Review of Overcoming Adversity ( Relaunched)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Re: Review of Overcoming Adversity ( Relaunched)

Post by jaym_tan »

The author does not sugar coat anything as he covers a wide range of barriers that hinder us from achieving success such as racial inequality, which was espacially hard during his era. Congrats on BOTD!
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I'd like to read more and find out how the author managed to overcome all obstacles and achieve his goals in spite of racial discrimination. The power of faith must have played a crucial role. Thanks for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

It would be virtually impossible for me to love my country and even fight for her if I was being treated as less than everywhere I went. Fowlkes clearly had a tough skin and should be applauded for the way he continued to move on despite the racism and clear disadvantages on his path as a black man.
Gemjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemjay.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Gemjay »

This book sounds perfect for any person of colour especially if they are finding it difficult to achieve their success in the midst of adversity. Congrats BOTD!
kumar_ratan01
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kumar_ratan01 »

The book is really good, it describes the determination of the author towards his achievements that he wanted to pursue a college for the higher education. As the author was not from good family background but then also he tried his best to achieve and to remove the discrimination in education system. He learnt many things that he did to earn fee of his university, which helped him in his knowledge about selling. I salute the author that he did for his dream to come true.
Varshaa
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games Series #1)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-varshaa.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by Varshaa »

This book has a nice start. It's great that the narrator highly considers education to be a pathway for a bright future. For a long time, racism is considered to be followed and this narrator should've faced a lot which is totally unjustifiable. This book should be a good motivational one.
Priyanshi Sharma 2
Currently Reading: Tinman
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanshi-sharma-2.html
Latest Review: Shadow Eclipse Voyage by E. M. Gale

Post by Priyanshi Sharma 2 »

I hate how people had to endure adversity in their life just because of their colour. Not just back in the twentieth century, racism is still around the world. I would like to read the obstacles faced by Nelson and how he overcome those. This book is absolutely inspirational.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts :tiphat:
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: This Is Your Last Warning
Bookshelf Size: 586
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

In a world beset by blatant racism and undisguised hatred for people of color, the odds of personal and professional success are dramatically limited. Do you love books that explain the past in terms of how the environment impacts your chance of success? Or just books that motivate you never to give up? If yes, then, Overcoming Adversity by Nelson J. Fowlkes is a non-fictional book that highlights the themes of racism, adversity, and the power of faith in achieving your dreams.

Nelson J. Fowlkes is a black man who has high ambitions of attaining the pinnacle of professional success. But his poor background coupled with his skin color in an era where blacks were still seen as lesser humans poses significant barriers to achieving his dreams. Crisscrossing his career from high school education to college to military service, he was heckled and hounded on all fronts, primarily because of his skin color. How did Fowlkes navigate such a tenuous environment as a patriot and a business entrepreneur, and what lessons can we gain from his story? Read this book in detail to find out.

The introduction portion started as a book written to motivate people not to relent in the face of adversities, and the ensuing chapters did not disappoint. It seemed every stage of Nelson’s life was destined to encounter obstacles. And isn’t that true for all of us? But his determination to always seek alternate solutions, plus deep faith in the power of God, holds a lesson about grit for all of us. It was gratifying to see that some progress towards equality started from that era and has gained momentum till today, particularly the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

I like that the topic of racism was the dominant theme in this book. I was deeply impressed by how Nelson portrayed racism in its most naked form back in the twentieth century. It was a humiliating experience to see both institutions and individuals contrive to deprive fellow humans of growth opportunities solely because of their skin color. At times, it was almost hypocritical, seeing in Nelson’s case where he is deemed good enough to die for the country as military personnel but not good enough to enjoy other societal opportunities.

This book addresses a basic right that should be shared by all Americans, we are all free and should be treated the same no matter the race of an individual. The U.S. has sent blacks and other minorities off to war but when it comes to civil rights these citizens are treated as lower class and are not given the same rights they fought for in battle. I pray for the day when white supremacy ends and all people are treated equally. Very good official review.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

I'd really love to read about how our environment affects our chances of success. Interesting review.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Post by Praise GodWord »

Environmental factors affect success. But how do we succeed despite it? I think I will learn a lot from it.
CoolReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-coolreads.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by CoolReads »

Thanks for the balanced review. I admire the author's tenacity in striving to pick himself up each time life knocks him down. However, not all his adversities appear to be race-based, as his naivety was apparent in the pigeon drop scam. The white man on the cover of the book is an odd choice.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

I think like Nelson J. Fowlkes, many of us are clouded with our thought and imaginations that limit us from achieving our dream. I will love to read this book and be encourage from how Nelson J. Fowlkes navigates adversity. Nice review.
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Ferdinand N 1
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 8
2024 Reading Goal: 7
2024 Goal Completion: 14%

Post by Ferdinand N 1 »

I believe racism is never a barrier when one is focused and determine with the believe of God by once side, colour could be but all is just the thought of human, well am very motivated by Nelson stories, early education still counts coupled with the new updates we get in recent studies.
Iva Stoyanova
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iva-stoyanova.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Iva Stoyanova »

I don't like these topics and I'm not into political history at all. I'll pass on this book, but surely many readers will appreciate it.
"You can be more aware and more present simply by resting in the present moment, open to all that is, without trying to control it or grasp it with the mind. Truly, a marvelous way of being!"

Richard L. Haight
Jason Gibson
Currently Reading: Swarm
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jason-gibson.html
Latest Review: How My Brain Works by Dr. Barbara Koltuska-Haskin

Post by Jason Gibson »

This looks like an engaging read! Thank you for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”