Review of Saving the Planet By Design

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Review of Saving the Planet By Design

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Saving the Planet By Design" by Ken Yeang.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are many institutions today that give monetary grants for groundbreaking technology that help mitigate the effects of human activities on the ecosystem, including carbon-capture technology. But the preexisting problems in the ecosystem run deeper and have a more complex fix than only technology can provide. Ken Yeang in Saving the Planet by Design explains the problems that human beings have caused in the ecosystem and how humanity can, more than mitigate the effects of our harmful actions, improve the ecosystem through ecological design and ecomimesis.

Can we save the planet by design? Ken Yeang proposes that this is our only salvation, as the only other option is to embark on a race-and-rescue mission that will end up creating more problems for the ecosystem. Ecological design is, simply put, a design that is directed by ecology and ecocentricity. The author proposes, among many other things, that we must incorporate bio-integration and make an ideological shift in how we view the environment; otherwise, we risk pushing the ecosystem past its natural resilience. Human beings, as the species most affecting the environment, have a responsibility to other species and future generations to ensure the planet’s survival.

I always knew that humans’ actions affected the planet. I have heard a bit about how the glaciers are melting and rising sea levels. I also know that single-use plastic is harmful and should be disposed of properly. I, however, did not know the intricacies of ecology and the details of how much our actions affect the planet. This book was the perfect introduction for me to ecology and ecocentricity. The author began by explaining all the concepts as simply as possible. Even as a novice, I easily understood everything written in this book. For example, even though I knew that plastic was not biodegradable, the author let me know that plastics can even break down to become micro-plastics that kill the oceans’ planktons.

The author’s objectivity is one of the best things about this book; he never had an accusatory tone. The author simply explained the ways human activities can harm the planet and gave viable solutions to the problems. While some of the solutions the author suggests can be implemented by single individuals, including the reuse and proper disposal of plastic, the bulk of his solutions can only be implemented at institutional and governmental levels. For example, redesigning cities, developing Sustainable Drainage Systems (SUDs), developing biointegratable products cannot exactly be done by a private individual. So, I appreciated that the author was clear in explaining that we must work together, both as individuals and as a species.

I did not dislike anything about Saving the Planet by Design, so I rate it 4 out of 4. The author was clear in his analysis of ecological problems and in providing solutions that are easy to understand. I found no errors because I listened to the audiobook, which Dr. Mike Wells narrated excellently. I primarily recommend this book to all government officials in every country in the world. But I also believe that every human being, no matter the race or country, should read this book; the ecosystem concerns us all. This book will awaken the inner ecocentric in all of us so that we can save our world.

Saving the Planet By Design
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Post by Amanda Dobson »

Great review! I would most definitely read this book. As someone who is in support of saving the environment this is right up my alley.
Amaka London
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Amaka London »

Great view, am in total support with the writer, in saving the environment I also believe we citizen can also help the government to put things in place
Kim Jek
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kim-jek.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kim Jek »

Timely information. I think everyone needs this information. Thanks for your great review.
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

The ecosystem is the key ingredient of human life. We need to protect it. The review has given much details about book. I feel this will be a good read.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”