Review of Running the Sahara

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Koileken Kiok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koileken-kiok.html
Latest Review: I Know My Way Memoir by Theresa Marafito with Linda Odubayo Thompson

Review of Running the Sahara

Post by Koileken Kiok »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Running the Sahara" by Marcel Nickler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler lets us in on the experience of running the Marathon des Sables under the tough terrain of the Sahara Desert in Morocco. Even though the Marathon des Sables is the heart of the story in this book, Marcel also talks about his remarkable running experience spanning 20 years in nearly 20 different marathons. It is this staggering experience, and the desire to push his limits that led Marcel to participate in the race.

This is a beautiful memoir. The author invites you on his journey of passion in a way only he can. Marcel’s passion in long-distance running started in 1998 when his friend Tobias Scheuring shared his experience running the Lausanne Marathon. Marcel was already running half marathons but only to keep in shape, but not as a passion. However the encounter with Tobias inspired him to try long-distance running. He not only signed up for the Lausanne Marathon but he went ahead to discover his running passion, which gave him more currency than he could have ever imagined. The Marathon des Sables was to be the penultimate race, possibly the last of his 20-year relentless running experience.

Overcoming challenges through planning, strength, both mental and physical were the standout messages in the book. This was clearly demonstrated by the way Marcel prepared for the Marathon des Sables, and indeed every other marathon he participated in. His obsession with keeping little things in place shone through, because it gives him control over the things he could control. The marathon essentials were carefully selected, packed and weighed to the gram. This always paid off.

As explained, just like in life, finishing ultra-races is more about mental toughness than it is about physical. If you want to challenge yourself, you must cultivate mental strength to push you through physical suffering. Marcel learnt that difficult phases can be overcome through mental focus, and that difficulties and pains will make you come out as a better person.

Also coming out strongly is the value of friendship and networks, and family that were reliable pillars during Marcel’s preparation and training. The pieces of advice, mentorship and care kept him grounded throughout the race.

I like the flow adopted by the author. The short and precise sections make the book so easy to read. It’s also written in simpler terms making it easy to follow. The pictorial section at the end is the icing on the cake. Giving context to the whole story.
There is no single thing I disliked in the book. The book was exceptionally edited as I have found no spelling or grammatical errors. For this reason I rate this book at 4 out of 4 stars.

This is an ideal book for people looking for motivation to stick it out no matter the challenges. I would also highly recommend to people keen on physical fitness, travelers, and lovers of nature.

Running the Sahara
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”