Review of Mentoring Black Male Teens

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Orizon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Jesus Is God by Cary Glenn

Review of Mentoring Black Male Teens

Post by Orizon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mentoring Black Male Teens" by Calvin G. Williams.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Need help on bringing up and training your fast-growing black male teen in the right way? Then this is just the perfect book for you. Mentoring Black Male Teens by Calvin G. Williams was a clarion call to the community to join in taking up the mantle of training black male teens in societies.

This book was not divided into the traditional manner of chapters but was partitioned into subheadings. First, the author explained what Life Skills at Will Academy (LSAWA, as written in the book) was and how he had developed this program to help black male teens. Then, through his experience, he gave the problem of the black teen and why most of them grow up becoming a menace and constituting nuisance in the society. Furthermore, the author gave ways to address this issue by providing their needs and filling the absence in their lives. Finally, the author gave helpful tips on exercises, workbooks, and teachings to the male teens, the mothers, and the community that would help these black male teens grow up to be real men in society.

I liked how the author wrote and described the turmoil and emotional trauma black male teens went through, especially those that grew up under single mothers. The book was very educative and insightful as the author expertly explained to the single mothers how to go about training them. He further endeavored the established men in the community to sacrifice their time in gathering and shaping the lives of black male teens.

The book was an excellent way to communicate to society their roles in the young man's life. Another thing I liked about this book was the tone of the author. I appreciated that the author did not condone what he considered evil. This is reflected in how he advised teachers and parents on how to go about disciplining their male teens in the right way and not through negative reinforcements like expulsion, suspension, beating, and others. The author was not judgmental but placed firm pieces of advice.

There was nothing I disliked about this book. The content of each page of the book was very captivating, inspiring, and insightful. Also, the book was well edited, as I observed only one error in it. Therefore, I rate Mentoring Black Male Teens 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to those in the community and the single mothers who lack the basic skills to train these youth. We should all be involved in this as we would also be victims of the consequences of not teaching them rightly. The author stated the problem and proffered solutions.

Mentoring Black Male Teens
View: on Bookshelves
Limpo Mandave
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Limpo Mandave »

I love how this book is connecting with this young men in a very special way, and it will help a lot of black parents in the bringing up of their sons so I say it's the perfect book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”