Review of Just Breathe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of Just Breathe

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Just Breathe" by Trena R Ford.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Just Breathe by Trena R. Ford is a memoir of faith at work. Dealing with the death of a loved one and battling cancer all within the same time frame can be draining and might even lead to doubts about the fulfillment of the promises of God. But perhaps it is all part of God's perfect plan to strengthen and renew our faith in him. Through Trena's story, the role of pain and suffering in a Christian's earthly race is deciphered, and just like Job, we can learn to surrender all to God in faith and obedience. By casting all our worries on him, we can then "just breathe" and allow God to manifest his glory in our lives.

Trena brings her struggles and doubts to the fore. She is direct in her approach — acknowledging where she falls short, detailing how she got back on her feet, and extolling the newfound knowledge and growth from her experiences. God does not give us what we can't endure because He knows us and trusts that we will be faithful. He uses tests to mold us into vessels of honor, a model of a true Christian willing to share in the sufferings of Christ just as we will also share in his glory.

This book is a reminder for Christians to keep calm in the face of the storms of life, as God is in control. It is concise and goes straight to the point. It stays true to the author's goal of sharing the story of the two life-changing events in her life, hoping that it will encourage others in their journey. Her acronym F.I.G.H.T. can be applied in all areas of life, making it an all-encompassing book. Perhaps, the reader isn't dealing with the death of a loved one or fighting a life-threatening illness. For the reader, it can be a personal struggle, financial turmoil, spiritual battle, or physical confrontation. Whichever it is, if we follow the stipulations of F.I.G.H.T., we will receive grace and healing through the stripes of Christ. Meanwhile, here's the meaning of F.I.G.H.T.: F stands for Formulate a Plan, I stands for Initiate the Plan, G stands for Get Ready, H stands for Have Faith, and T stands for Triumph. You will get the full explanation from the book.

This book is well written and organized in brief chapters with appropriate titles and relevant Bible verses to back up points. There are also colorful pictures giving life to stories within, as the reader gets to see the persons being talked about. The editing of this book is top-notch, with no errors as far as I can see. It is a joy to focus on the message of the book without the distractions of mistakes. Many thanks to the author and the editing team, as I dislike nothing about the book.

I will recommend this book to Christians who are going through life challenges and need assurance and a guide to navigating these struggles. Because of the focus on the author's battle with cancer, readers who are going through the same struggle will also find this book helpful. Its concise nature also makes it a perfect handbook to gift to someone; indeed, we all have our struggles, and perhaps this book might be of help to someone. Finally, I will rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Its language is simple. It is brief but not choppy; the message of the book is communicated exhaustively.

Just Breathe
View: on Bookshelves
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

I believe one could learn the lessons of hope and optimism during adverse conditions from the book as well if not just the religion. Anyone can determine what the book has taught them. Thanks for such a well written review! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
amonaba
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by amonaba »

Its very inspirational and a reminder to Christians to remain optimistic in all devastating spheres of life.
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

This is the perfect book I need in my life now. Staying calm in the midst of tribulations is a rare gift and I'm glad to find a book that talks on this theme. Thanks for the review!
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

Sounds like this book could be helpful to many. Not sure I will be giving this one a look though. Great review!
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-osmond.html
Latest Review: The Trials of Uwe, Parts I, II and III by Steven L Masia

Post by Mercy Osmond »

Sometimes the harsh experience one faces will make him/her choke and be out of breath. Looking for something to hold onto is what keeps us going. Am glad the author shared her experience to be of inspiration to others. Thanks for the detailed review.
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

It was the use of acronyms to make this book memorable for me. Even if I don't get to read it, I already have something to hold unto from this review. Thank you!
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

This is a book that, I think, might deals with mental health, life challenges and so on. This is a book for everyone. Nice review.
Uzzy_Reviews
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

This book could come handy during the down times. Good job. Thank you

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”