Review of Miguel Jesus Corte

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-de-vos.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Review of Miguel Jesus Corte

Post by Lorraine De Vos »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Miguel Jesus Corte" by Gerald Skow.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Miguel Jesus Corte by Gerald Skow is a story of how dreams can become reality through determination, hard work, and making the right choices in life.

Ecuador is known for its poverty and being born into a poor family seals your fate of living the same type of lifestyle. You can resort to crime or extortion through the military or priesthood, but if you are a good person these choices will haunt you, and you will know that you are part of the problem in the country rather than the solution. Because the poor cannot afford to send their children to school, the population is mostly uneducated so their job choices are limited to becoming a shoeshine boy of which there are many, a busboy that has to carry the livestock and luggage up the metal ladder to the top of busses, a cargo hauler that moves cargo from the marketplace to the homes of the purchasers, or work on the haciendas for a rich farmer under a jefe. All of these jobs come with the danger of abuse, very little pay, and having to possibly live on the streets. Miguel chooses a different path for his life, he chooses a life of hard work to change things for the better.

What I enjoyed most about this book was the positive message it conveyed about how if you work hard for something and you are persistent and consistent and you keep your faith, that you will eventually succeed.

There was heavy use of Spanish slang and terminology used for the Ecuadorian government throughout the book. Having no Spanish background or schooling I did find some parts of the book a little difficult to comprehend which slowed down my reading somewhat and unfortunately also made the story less enjoyable for me.

The American Peace Corps volunteers play a major role in the life of Miguel and his eventual success, but there is some struggle between them relating to religion which some might find triggering. Other triggers include abuse of power, abuse of alcohol, illegal activity, and death. There is no sexual content or profanity.

I encountered many spelling and grammar errors in the text and the book definitely requires another round of professional editing. The overall story however was captivating enough for me to give the book the highest rating possible 3 out 4 stars (1 star being deducted due to the above-mentioned editing requirements).

In my opinion, this book is suitable for all ages, but I would recommend it to young adults and older. If you are looking for an inspirational story about a man that never gives up in the hopes of creating a better life for his family, his community, and his country, then this book is the one you have been waiting for.

Miguel Jesus Corte
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

This does sound like an intriguing book. It would have been better if the author had put a section in the book to help translate the Spanish into English for those who do not read/understand Spanish that well. Thank you for an informative review.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

Miguel is such an inspiration. I'd love to read more about his life. Great review.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Miquel's life story could inspire other people to overcome the hardships in their life. I would love to find out more about Ecuador! Thank you for your great work!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”