Review of COME TRAVEL WITH ME and my Cameras

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Review of COME TRAVEL WITH ME and my Cameras

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "COME TRAVEL WITH ME and my Cameras" by Terry Turle.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Come Travel With Me and My Cameras is a memoir and travelogue. It was written by Terry Turle. The book tells the story of the author’s childhood and family life before exploring his exciting photography career. The Turles lived in England before moving to Australia aboard the SS Orcades. The author had a penchant for photography ever since he was a child. When he grew up, he created a company called Lloyd Buchanan Photography. Eventually, his photography progressed from taking photos of people to creating videos and films. Terry traveled extensively to exotic places such as Timbuktu, Turkey, Egypt, and India. Many of his videos can be found on YouTube. Through this book, readers will meet locals from these places, see photos from Turle’s travels, delve into history, and become immersed in many adventures.

This book was informative. Culture, geography, and history are three of my favorite things to learn about, so I appreciated the author’s insights into these subjects. Turle stated that Egypt was the first country to create glass. I liked looking at pictures of the ornate glassware that he photographed. I also learned that Mashrabiya windows were specially designed to prevent onlookers from staring at women. I was surprised to learn that this actually contributed to their safety. Turle transported me to the Goreme Valley in Turkey where strange rock formations resembled fairy chimneys. He explained that this was due to the erosion of volcanic ash. Neither have I heard of this place nor seen it, so I found this to be extremely fascinating.

Although the book contains educational and fascinating content, the writing was choppy and confusing at times. Sometimes, phrases were written instead of sentences. The lack of quotation marks made this book a chore to read. Moreover, the dialogues weren’t separated. Instead, they were sometimes placed in narrative paragraphs. Other errors were present too. In my opinion, there were too many characters to keep track of as Turle seemed to mention nearly everyone he met on his travels.

After some time, reading this book became a bit monotonous. Turle wrote very positively about most of his experiences, but it seemed like Turle tried to shield the reader from learning about certain parts of his life, such as the discord between him and his first wife, the romance with his second wife, and his daughter’s mental health struggles. I would have liked to read about how these affected his sons and his career. Photography is an art, and our ability to express ourselves through art is normally affected by our experiences and emotions. Unfortunately, Turle didn’t elaborate on these matters. Including more about these would have made the book more interesting. It would have helped readers to connect with the author too.

Turle’s photographs were a nice addition to the book. Honestly, I expected to see more photos since the book’s title hinted at this. I was disappointed when I discovered that some of the photographs were repeated, such as those of the rock formations in the Goreme Valley and King Tut’s death mask. It would have been superb to see some more of Turle’s work.

In conclusion, I rate this book 1 out of 4. I think the informative aspect was the only positive thing about this book. Come Travel With Me and My Cameras has the potential to become an enjoyable read if some of the aforementioned things are addressed. Most importantly, it needs to be professionally edited or else readers will have a hard time reading it. Once the issues have been resolved, I would recommend this book to adult readers who like memoirs, traveling, and photography.

COME TRAVEL WITH ME and my Cameras
View: on Bookshelves
Elaine LaBonte
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Life Lessons of Wayne
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine-labonte.html
Latest Review: President's Day by Stephen A. Werbel, Ph.D.

Post by Elaine LaBonte »

Thanks for being honest about the shortcomings of this book. It is something I would be tempted to buy to read. But the considering the very sloppy editing, I would not.
"Soon I'll find the right words, they'll be very simple ..."
Some of the Dharma, by Jack Kerouac
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

The premise of this books sounded really interesting, so the issues in dialogue etc. are unfortunate. Hopefully the author will take your advice and get a professional editor to work on the book. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Images are a big plus in a book. Sadly, I learned from your review that they can be repetitive in this book. Thanks for revealing the negative aspects of its contents.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

Images in a book like this are a big deal and it is unfortunate that they were repeated! I have encountered books where there are not proper quote marks or even spacing between speakers, it is very challenging to read books in that way. Thank you for an honest review.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Adrian Rondon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrian-rondon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Adrian Rondon Salazar »

Seeing the pictures and imagining those places was the main reason for reading this book :D . It is sad that they are not so numerous, however I still have the cultural content as an incentive.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful review.
MoeBrown
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moebrown.html
Latest Review: A Miracle For Evi by Eva-Maria Frank

Post by MoeBrown »

Very helpful review. I would definitely be swayed to give this book a try but the editing would probably have me change my mind. I do hope the author works out these few kinks to make it a better read.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

This book sounded extremely interesting... It's unfortunate that it turned out to be such a hard and disappointing read. I'll pass and find something perhaps a little better edited. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”