Review of Go From Hustle to Flow

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Review of Go From Hustle to Flow

Post by evraealtana »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Go From Hustle to Flow" by Amanda W. Jenkins.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Go From Hustle to Flow, written by Amanda W. Jenkins, is a self-help book intended to help a reader break out of the common but unsatisfying lifestyle of workaholism, which she calls “hustle”, and move toward a more enjoyable lifestyle of seeking “flow”. 

“Flow”, a concept first introduced in 1990 by the psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, is defined as “the mental state where a person is fully immersed in a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and enjoyment in the process of [an] activity" (56). Experiencing flow is synonymous with being “in the zone” or having your attention completely absorbed by your current activity. 

Jenkins begins her book with a primer in general terms on what flow is and why finding opportunities to create it contributes enormously to life satisfaction. She then discusses the specific attributes that define a flow experience, a few factors that can impede flow, and some possible triggers to initiate flow. Along the way, she shares examples and stories from her own life that touch on a variety of topics, such as marriage and parenting, racial discrimination, and the pitfalls of pseudo-spiritualism. Each chapter is concluded with suggestions on incorporating that chapter’s central theme into the reader’s life and directions for a yoga pose that is intended to embody that theme.

Jenkins discusses a few of the struggles she has faced during her life that are likely to resonate with a wide variety of readers, such as dieting for a socially acceptable appearance rather than for health or struggling to juggle work and parenthood. However, the chapters, which appear to be intended to discuss seeking flow, often have little to do with flow at all. While Johnson's anecdotes are entertaining, I felt that this frequent deviation from the topic of flow gave the book a disorganized and unfocused feel. The book feels tailored less for readers looking to be educated about the topic of flow, who would do better to read the work of Csikszentmihalyi directly, and more for readers already on a journey toward improved life satisfaction who are merely seeking a “spirit sister” or cheerleader.

The author, who is American, somewhat limits her own audience by making specific references like “the purity movement” and "the events of January 6th", which would be understood well by American readers but might not make any sense to readers of other nationalities. Additionally, because she comes from a Christian background but has since parted somewhat with organized religion, Jenkins includes several largely critical sections on mainstream Christianity’s influence on the happiness of its followers. These sections are less applicable to non-Christian readers, while Christian ones may find themselves disagreeing strongly with the author’s views.

There is some discussion of sex, particularly premarital sex, but no content that would be considered erotic. Surprisingly, there is also sparse but sometimes serious profane language.

Go From Hustle to Flow earns a score of 3 out of 4 for its conversational style and relatable discussion of an important topic in wellness and mental health. It loses a star for its roundabout, unfocused feel and its multiple spelling and grammar errors, which are not glaring but which are frequent enough to call for the aid of a professional editor. The book would most appeal to self-help readers struggling with feeling like they are spinning their wheels and yet getting nowhere, especially readers who are already familiar with the concept of flow and are looking for examples of ways to incorporate it into their own lives.

Go From Hustle to Flow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

I work so much, and sometimes I seem not to know how to balance my work life with taking time out to enjoy life at the same time. This book looks like it will give me mastery of that. Great review.
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Deprise Evans »

I work 9-5 in an office setting, plus I have a side business. It can really be hard to balance everything and still have free time. This sounds like such a helpful book, especially for me. Thank you for your review!
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

Wonderful support for many people who are facing challenges during this period. I guess people in cities are actually going through these feelings. I would love to read it.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”