Review of The Absence of a Present Father

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Review of The Absence of a Present Father

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Absence of a Present Father" by Vanessa Wren.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Written by Vanessa Wren, The Absence of a Present Father is a 27-page memoir about her dysfunctional family and her experience of childhood sexual abuse.

This first-person narrative is an easy read with only 12 chapters. It contains two major parts. The first section recounts the author’s childhood trauma, and the second part is a self-help guide.

The book begins by explaining the importance of a healthy father-daughter relationship and the consequences of a lack thereof. Immediately, this foreshadowing heightens anticipation for the rest of the book. From here on out, Wren’s life unfolds in a series of tragic and chilling events. Some themes might be disturbing for some readers, such as incest, child molestation, physical and emotional abuse.

The author describes her relationship with her mother, grandmother, and siblings—sometimes it is good, other times not. She also describes her sleepwalking disorder and—I was unprepared for this—the dark spirits that haunted her and her brother; naturally, my heart went out to that little girl. I wondered if her trauma had something to do with it. However, the most distressing part was the sexual abuse Wren and her sisters suffered from their father, who is a minister. Moreover, it was hard reading about her mother's denial. Unfortunately, the consequences of abuse followed the author into adulthood. For example, she grew weary of "Godly men"—as she dubs them. Sadly, other horrifying moments would be spoilers if I shared them.

The book’s message is invaluable and a major positive aspect; Wren aims to help victims of abuse regain their self-worth. In addition, she raises awareness about childhood sexual abuse. Though loosely cohesive, the description of her father’s character is raw. I could feel the author’s emotions coming out; consequently, this was another positive aspect.

On the other hand, the copious grammar mistakes were a major negative aspect. For example, incorrect contractions and misspelled words. Also, many paragraphs were long run-on sentences. In addition, the unstructured content was another negative. For instance, there were jumps in the events and unnecessary repetitions. I noticed that the writing style changed in some sections. I assumed some editing was attempted, but it was not enough.

I applaud Wren’s strength and determination. Her story was moving and profound. Regrettably, I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars due to the negatives mentioned above. This book is in dire need of revision in all areas.

In its current condition, I cannot recommend this book to anyone. Once the issues are resolved, I could recommend it to anyone working with victims of abuse. Wren’s story can instill hope. Due to the nature of the subject, I wouldn’t recommend it to sensitive readers.

The Absence of a Present Father
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

While a short read, this seems like a difficult read. Between the heavy topic and the subpar editing, I'm not sure I'd make it through. Thanks for your review!
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I am so sorry that this woman had to go through such horrific events in her life. Only reading this review broke my heart, so I can’t imagine how it would be if I read the whole book! The lack of proper editing often seems to be a big problem with this type of memoirs. This story undoubtedly deserves to be told, but it should be done with proper editing. Thanks for your honest review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Such a sad story. Even sadder that it happens so often. Fathers should be protectors of their children, not vultures that would ravage them. Sigh! 😥
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I really hope that this book gets a good editor. The author's story must be heard. Thank you very much for this honest and insightful review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I hope that the author will use your feedback to improve the form. Her story deserves to be presented in a form that interests as many people as possible. I appreciates your honest and objective review!
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

This is heartbreaking and triggering to read. 😫
I hope the author finds an editor to check the errors in this book.
The author's story can't be taken lightly.
Thank you for your honesty review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 09:06 This is heartbreaking and triggering to read. 😫
I hope the author finds an editor to check the errors in this book.
The author's story can't be taken lightly.
Thank you for your honesty review.
I hope the author doesn't give up as well. She has been through a lot. I appreciate your comment.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 11:04 I hope that the author will use your feedback to improve the form. Her story deserves to be presented in a form that interests as many people as possible. I appreciates your honest and objective review!
I think that many people would be interested in her story. Hopefully, it can be edited. Thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Ellylion wrote: 26 Jun 2021, 12:59 I really hope that this book gets a good editor. The author's story must be heard. Thank you very much for this honest and insightful review!
You're welcome! I have the same hope as you. Thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Miriam Molina wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 20:01 Such a sad story. Even sadder that it happens so often. Fathers should be protectors of their children, not vultures that would ravage them. Sigh! 😥
You said it perfectly! It's a difficult thing to grasp, this kind of behavior. Sniff! :cry:
Thanks for the comment!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 03:10 I am so sorry that this woman had to go through such horrific events in her life. Only reading this review broke my heart, so I can’t imagine how it would be if I read the whole book! The lack of proper editing often seems to be a big problem with this type of memoirs. This story undoubtedly deserves to be told, but it should be done with proper editing. Thanks for your honest review!
I was glad that she shared her story, only that it would reach more ppl with better editing. Thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Jagiine wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 19:07 While a short read, this seems like a difficult read. Between the heavy topic and the subpar editing, I'm not sure I'd make it through. Thanks for your review!
Unfortunately, grammar errors are hard to pass; esp. that this is an important topic. Thanks for stopping by!
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

What a terrible experience. I hope the adjustments are made to get this book out there. Thanks for an honest review.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

Great review. I do think that while the content of the story may be great, the plethora of problems can affect the reader's experience as a whole. I hope they get fixed and the book gets re-released.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”