Review of Surviving the Business of Healthcare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Review of Surviving the Business of Healthcare

Post by ciecheesemeister »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Surviving the Business of Healthcare" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Surviving the Business of Healthcare is an informational text and memoir by Barbara Galutia Regis, M.S., PA-C. The author’s father was a family physician. She describes the changes that she has seen over the years watching her father practice a very individual style of medicine as opposed to the many rules and regulations often leading to impersonal and overpriced patient care that the author herself faces today.

The author is in the unique position of being able to discuss healthcare both from the perspective of a provider and a patient. She received successful treatment for amelanotic nodular melanoma, a rare skin cancer.

This brief book offers an overview of the problems facing modern healthcare, both from the perspective of a patient and the perspective of a provider. By this point, most people are aware that the U.S. healthcare system does not work well for many patients. It is often prohibitively costly and private insurance tends to try and find loopholes to avoid paying for procedures and medications.

The book was professionally edited. I found no errors in the text. It is written in an easy-to-read style that a layperson will be able to understand while discussing issues that healthcare professionals will appreciate.

The book is not a detailed analysis of the issues facing the healthcare industry. Professionals seeking an in-depth analysis of such may prefer a different resource.

There was nothing that I disliked about Surviving the Business of Healthcare. As both a former healthcare provider myself (licensed practical nurse) and a person living with a myriad of chronic conditions, I appreciated this book. If I had not been able to qualify for Medicaid, it is likely that I would not be around to write this review.

For most of my working life, I was employed in physically demanding and often low-paying jobs. There were many times that I was unable to afford health insurance and ignored health issues. Doing this eventually resulted in an injury that has left me permanently unable to work an outside job. There are many people who are in the position that I was in, being one disaster away from financial collapse.

I appreciated the author’s perspectives and her advocacy for patient-focused care. As a big person with a history of trauma, I have often resisted seeking care not only because of monetary issues but because I expected to be shamed both for my body and my anxiety. I feel like the author would listen to a person like me and provide an atmosphere of trust as opposed to an atmosphere of blaming and shaming for having a body that deviates from the desired results in many ways.

I give Surviving the Business of Healthcare four out of four stars for being a well-written overview of the problems facing the U.S. healthcare system. I hope that the author might consider writing a more detailed analysis of the issues presented in this text at a future point.

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Asmaa Saber
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asmaa-saber.html
Latest Review: Faith To Freedom by Dr Keith L Marshall, PsyD, MHD

Post by Asmaa Saber »

In a time where COVID-19 is a threat to everyone, I think we need to understand more about healthcare in terms of business in general. your review helped me to get a good understanding of the book idea before reading it. thank you. :)
Edr
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edr.html
Latest Review: Perfect by Judi Miller
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by Edr »

It's an interesting and very relevant topic these days. My dad was a doctor and I know, first hand, that problems with the healthcare system can be stressful for patients and families. Very good review, invites to read the book.
Latest Review: Perfect by Judi Miller
Thabile N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Thabile N »

I stay next to a Hospital, most of the time I see ambulance running in and out the "hospital " . It's very difficult for me because I've lost a lot of my family members in that hospital and because of the corona virus. So ones health is important but it's scary to go to the hospitals because most sick people who have corona go there . Something must be done
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

I think I'd love to see how the author describes the changes that she has seen over the years watching her father practice a very individual style of medicine as opposed to the many rules and regulations often leading to impersonal and overpriced patient care that the she faces today. Thanks for the review.
NISSE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisse.html
Latest Review: Insights for Coaching Leaders beyond 2021 by Jill Flynn

Post by NISSE »

A memoir about health care from a patient's perspe as well as from a health care provider's perspective. There must be good points to gauge by reading this good book.Thanks for the informative review!
Yudi Purnawan
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Yudi Purnawan »

It's an interesting and very relevant topic these days. My dad was a doctor and I know, first hand, that problems with the healthcare system can be stressful for patients and families. Very good review, invites to read the book.
Muskan Upadhyaya
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muskan-upadhyaya.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Muskan Upadhyaya »

This book is extremely helpful in today's world and it shows how health need to given first priority.
Amazing review
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
John Estrera
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by John Estrera »

:D In this time of pandemic, it is a good source of health information..

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”